DS Overclocking Help Needed

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Cycotic
DS Overclocking Help Needed

Post by Cycotic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:30 am

Has anyone on these forums successfully accomplished an overclocking of the DS? I'm currently in the attempt, but my DS doesn't boot (the green power light comes on, but no OS screen appears). Does anyone have any ideas as to my problem? I think it's possible that I wired my oscillator wrong, as when the connector snapped off of the C2 connection, I switched the wires on my oscillator and my DS stopped working (it had worked beforehand with everything wired, but the overclocking didn't take effect for some reason when the switch was thrown). Is it possible that there is one specific way to wire an oscillator? I haven't tried resoldering the connections yet, but my oscillator is completely unmarked, except for its specifications, so there are no indications of how it should be wired.

Also, this is most likely a total newbie question, but... Where does the ground have to be wired? Do I just leave it hanging out wherever, or does it need to be soldered somewhere onto my DS mobo? Right now, my grounding wire leads to absolutely nowhere, so could that be the problem?

I will post pictures if anyone thinks it will help (although you may not want to, my soldering skills aren't so great... Experienced solderers will most likely scream themselves to death.).

Thanks for reading all of my questions, and I appreciate any and all help!
The marshmallows are coming...

"I'm getting one of those, y'know, headaches with pictures!"
"...An idea?"
"Mm! Mmhmm!" - Fry and Leela, <i>Futurama</i>

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:23 am

Welcome to the forums, dude.

About the ground thing, solder to ground! Find a ground point on the DS - it may be labeled, or you can find it on any component.

There can be a few things wrong:

1) You could've gotten the power line and the clock output line mixed up.

2) It may be to low or high of a clock speed.

3) You didn't solder the clock line to the clock point on the pcb well enough, check for loose connections and if you soldered to the right point.

4) The wire from the ceramic resonator/oscillator's clock line wire might be too long, physcially.

If you can take pictures of the solder job and such, that'd be great.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:45 pm

Might wanna check out the topic I started awhile back...
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:57 pm

wouldn't 2x speed require a 28 MHz oscilator
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:02 pm

Yes but that is crazy fast. I recommend a 20-21MHz cxock generator.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:00 pm

Also, this is most likely a total newbie question, but... Where does the ground have to be wired? Do I just leave it hanging out wherever, or does it need to be soldered somewhere onto my DS mobo? Right now, my grounding wire leads to absolutely nowhere, so could that be the problem?

I will post pictures if anyone thinks it will help (although you may not want to, my soldering skills aren't so great... Experienced solderers will most likely scream themselves to death.).
If you didn't know that ground wires had to be hooked up to ground, then I would recommend posting some pictures so we can take a looksie at it.
Hey, sup?

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:01 pm

I actually have the wires attached to a motherboard. I havn't got a crystal or the other ribbon cable (between top board and motherboard) to test it.

Cycotic

Post by Cycotic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:01 pm

Skyone wrote:Welcome to the forums, dude.

About the ground thing, solder to ground! Find a ground point on the DS - it may be labeled, or you can find it on any component.

There can be a few things wrong:

1) You could've gotten the power line and the clock output line mixed up.

2) It may be to low or high of a clock speed.

3) You didn't solder the clock line to the clock point on the pcb well enough, check for loose connections and if you soldered to the right point.

4) The wire from the ceramic resonator/oscillator's clock line wire might be too long, physcially.

If you can take pictures of the solder job and such, that'd be great.
Skyone: Thanks for all of your help! I will check all of these things you suggested and see if they help.However, another question of mine is, does the wiring of the actual oscillator make a difference? I.E. is each post supposed to be used for a certain purpose or does it matter? Also, what would be the optimum length for that specific wire? Currently, its around 4 inches from soldering point to oscillator. Is that too long?

sgtPepper: Thanks for giving me the thread, I appreciate it!

Krepticor/Skyone: I'm using a 24 MHz oscillator, as the guide suggested... According to the guide, it gives around 1.7 times the speed of normal operation. I was thinking of going over that to get 2x speed, but since I have never overclocked before, I though it best to follow the guide.

Thanks again to everyone's help! Also, I'll get pictures as soon as I can get my hands on a camera.

"...An idea?"

Cycotic

Pictures!

Post by Cycotic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:46 pm

Here are the pictures of my soldering, as well as my oscillator and SPST switch assembly. Warning, these are NOT 56k friendly!

What my DS looks like when power is switched on

The only picture of my soldering job that came out right

A picture of the front of my oscillator

The back of my oscillator

My switch and oscillator assembly

And another question, I can't find the ground anywhere on the DS mobo... Does anyone know where it is, so I can wire my oscillator to it? Also, I just noticed the small black dot on my oscillator's front while taking pictures. Would that have any meaning, or is it just a dot?

If anyone wants more pictures, I'll gladly take more! Thanks all!

"...An idea?"

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:28 pm

I thought the DS required a ceramic resonator, not an oscillator... >_<

Cycotic

Oscillator?

Post by Cycotic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:48 pm

Well, the guide I used -- located here says to use an oscillator... I'm beginning to fear that I screwed up the other jumps (it looks to me like the solder is gone from R2 and looks like E12). I tried jumping them, but it didn't work. I'm still at a loss as to what I should do... I tried rewiring my oscillator in a couiple different ways, but it didn't work. Should I simply desolder everything and see if my DS works without my assembly?

"...An idea?"

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:51 pm

You can hook ground to anywhere that says GRD or GND or something similar. Or, you can hook it up to the negative wire that comes from the battery.

And the dot means that the spot below it is PIN #1.
Hey, sup?

Cycotic

Post by Cycotic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:54 pm

Alright, thanks Kurt! I'll go try wiring it to my battery right now and see if it helps.

EDIT: I tried wiring the ground to the battery's negative terminal, then connecting everything, and my DS LED turned on for a split second, then shut off. Now it won't even turn on at all, in any switch position, whether the ground is wired or not... :cry:

"...An idea?"

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 pm

Let me rephrase that.

The black dot on the oscillator represents PIN #1. REDO THOSE CONNECTIONS so that they hook up to the right places. Otherwise it won't work, because you'll be mixing up the connections. One is the Input voltage, one is the output, and one is ground.

EDIT: Sounds like you blew the fuse. Know what you're doing first, then we'll tell you how to jump it. Check your connections for shorts, and that they're connected properly.
Hey, sup?

Cycotic

Post by Cycotic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Alright, I see... But, first of all, as you can see in the picture of my oscillator, there are four posts, and anyway, what would Pin #1 actually BE? Input, output, or ground? And, anyway, even then, would I rotate clockwise or counterclockwise from pin no. 1 to get to the respective others? Finally, what would the mystery fourth post do? I'm sorry, this is the first time I've used an oscillator, so I'm rather inexperienced...

"...An idea?"