thinking about building a arcade cabinet- questions

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

ganonbanned
thinking about building a arcade cabinet- questions

Post by ganonbanned » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:37 pm

today, I was thinking about arcade games and mame. someone posted on forum 42 how to create a mame cabinet, and i thought hell, I could do a nintendo cabinet! With internet capabilities! think about it, 4-player SSB, mortal kombat online AT THE ARCADE I would like to, goldeneye 007, doom, hexen, and wolfenstein at the arcade with your buddies! In your bed room! but I need to know some info

1. what are the best emulators with internet capabilities for NES, SNES and N64 for The PC? what about the DC?

2. did the SNES have any 4 player games?

3. someone said that if I get a few dreamcast keyboards, I can solder those the same as I would a PC for the buttons. Is this true?

4. will the SNES light gun work with the NES?

5. I want to make EVERY game playable, so does this mean I will have to get a SNES mouse? can I just use a joystick? I know you can convert a mouse into a trackball... so were there any 2 player games with the mouse?

6. are there any 2 player light gun games for the NES? SNES?

Thanks,
Ty

Ness

Re: thinking about building a arcade cabinet- questions

Post by Ness » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:31 pm

1. what are the best emulators with internet capabilities for NES, SNES and N64 for The PC? what about the DC?
SNES = zsnes
Not sure for NES...check out zophar.net for good info on a good one to use for what you want. Same for the N64
2. did the SNES have any 4 player games?
All I can think of is Bomberman as a 4 player game.
Theoretically, it should work as the NES lightgun requires only 1 button...give it a go
5. I want to make EVERY game playable, so does this mean I will have to get a SNES mouse? can I just use a joystick? I know you can convert a mouse into a trackball... so were there any 2 player games with the mouse?
Yes, you can use the joystick as a mouse for the SNES (using ZSNES). Just configure it in the options and you are good to go.

I don't think there are 2 player games with the mouse. Not much support went into it...
6. are there any 2 player light gun games for the NES? SNES?
NES - Duckhunt, Hogan's Alley, and theres also a cowboy game i cannot remember.
SNES - Lethal Enforcers 1 and 2
Thanks,
Ty
Your welcome! Hopefully someone else can add on to this.
Future WIP - X360L

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:44 pm

where is a good mame FAQ?
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Ness

Post by Ness » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:45 pm

at the official mame site. It's really easy to use. What problems are you having with it? I'll try to help out as best as I can.
Future WIP - X360L

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:56 pm

just lookin for info about it and the like

Ness

Post by Ness » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:00 pm

It's better if you get the mame32 version so you don't have to install anything thru source, and it's compatible with windows as well. Look for that thru google and once downloaded, extract, and open that folder. Everything will pretty much be self explanitory for what goes where.

Start off with that, and then ask away for any other questions that comes into play. Also, there should be a read-me file that tells you what works and doesn't, also, it tells you the name the rom files should be.
Future WIP - X360L

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: thinking about building a arcade cabinet- questions

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:35 pm

ganonbanned wrote:2. did the SNES have any 4 player games?
Yeah Starfox is 4 player as well.
3. someone said that if I get a few dreamcast keyboards, I can solder those the same as I would a PC for the buttons. Is this true?
I would say theoreticly yes as the addapters I've seen for going to PS/2 are really nothing more then pin adapters.
Yes it should as the NES and SNES use the same pin settings. Really if you look for pinouts of these two consoles they're grouped together.
Yeah I think you can use the joystick in the Mario Paint. Also I don't think there were any 2 player games that used the mouse. The mouse really wasn't going to work as well as a controller, still doesn't... unless you have a keyboard next to the mouse.
Last edited by Sparkfist on Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:20 pm

VirtuaNES is the one I use.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:55 pm

alright few more question: I want this to feel like a real arcade game. that meanse, running all of the time. make it so there is no PC bootup screen or anything like that, when you turn it on the program starts up. also, what is a good video card with RCA output? and can i convert the NES light zapper for the PC?

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:57 am

just buy one of those giagantic tube monitors with VGA output (there big and cheap and VGA is pretty mch the same as RGB)

I was wondering the same thing... Is there a mame that actully changes the bios and all?

I want to have something that resembles the feel and all of an arcade cab like gannonbanned but Do not want to have to thumb through a pc interface...

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:48 am

About the light gun. Sorry but you can't really mod it to work with a PC monitor. The games and the gun are designed to work with screens that operate at 60/50Hz, not something like 75Hz.

If you're addimint about using the light gun, you can buy a TV out video card and use a TV as the moitor. It will add maybe about an extra $30 to the cost if you buy a cheap one that uses a PCI slot.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

Ness

Post by Ness » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:06 pm

If you want the program to start up when you boot the PC, best thing to use (IMO) is maximus arcade. They have a trial version of it so you can mess around and stuff. Also, you can use that program to boot up instead of windows so you can start playing sooner.
Future WIP - X360L

totokan

Post by totokan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:29 pm

ganonbanned wrote:alright few more question: I want this to feel like a real arcade game. that meanse, running all of the time. make it so there is no PC bootup screen or anything like that, when you turn it on the program starts up. also, what is a good video card with RCA output? and can i convert the NES light zapper for the PC?
NES zappers only work on special refresh rates. Namely, the ones on your tv. Although, there is a special light gun adaptor for LCDs and such, I saw it in CGW or PCGamer, can't remember which.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:31 pm

I don't know if they're still updating the Linux MAME, but you can look for one of them. They're really a minimulist distro that have the emulators as part of it. All you have to do is add the Roms into it, burn it and boot it. It should dump you into a listing of the emulators and then have a listings of roms.. if you did it right.

I am a geek.

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:01 pm

alright thanks a lot for helping guys, 4 more questions: (sorry :roll: ) but is there aby way I can get my tv to be used as the moniter for the computer? also what are good DC emulators that play online? and what kind of PC should I use? also, I read somewhere that burned games eventually will destroy the dreacast because its harder to read them is that true?

thanks a lot.