Project Nomad 2.0

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

johnnyC
Project Nomad 2.0

Post by johnnyC » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:26 pm

I've decided that once I get paid, I'm gonna start work on a portable Genesis.

I hope to have a 3inch screen, derived from a portable television. A 2.5" might do well, however.

I do wish to mod the SF2CE unit (better compatibility and a 6-button controller). I also wish to include the ROM chips rigged up to a switch (switch between the V1 Chip, V2 Chip, SF2CE chip, and a cartridge slot). Another little desire is to include A/V cables to connect it to a television.

Though not important at "press time", I would like to include 2-player support. This would be done by a 2nd player hooking up to another unit, to where the audio and video would be sent to the 2nd unit, and the controls from the 2nd unit would connect to the 1st unit.

This design is similar to Ben's Exodus.
On the positive side, it would actually be very functional. On the negative side, the buttons may be to cramped.

This design, however, utilizes a DS-style shape and flip screen.
On the positive side, the controls might be given more leeway. On the negative side, how easy would connecting the flip screen and console as a single unit be? Also, size would be an issue (basically, it would be two plastic VHS cases stacked on top of one another).

Also, sorry for the crappy pics.

P.S. Feel free to help me. I'll need it. A lot.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:27 pm

I think the first one would be more practical, but I don't like the speaker arrangement.
I'm totally the 2008th member.

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:30 pm

I'd replace the RCA cables with RCA jacks... much more portable if you don't have cables hanging off it!

You're talking about using VHS cases... are they going to be stiff enough? All the ones I've seen have been far too flexible for use as a console case (IMHO).

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:34 am

Adeptus wrote:I'd replace the RCA cables with RCA jacks... much more portable if you don't have cables hanging off it!

You're talking about using VHS cases... are they going to be stiff enough? All the ones I've seen have been far too flexible for use as a console case (IMHO).
Yeah, they're a little bit flimsy. It's just that I have a ton of them. The local video store is discontinuing video rentals and switching over to DVD, which has been very good for me (I bought Clerks and Dark City, and a buttload of old cases).

As for jacks, that might make sense.

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:36 am

Jimmy wrote:I think the first one would be more practical, but I don't like the speaker arrangement.
Actually, that's just a rough sketch. In the original, they had some space between them, but resembled semi-circles.

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:25 pm

For your 2-player idea, you could use a 15-pin plug (either NeoGeo controller style, or VGA style)
9 pins for controller + 2 pins each for video, audio L, audio R = 15 pins

Either that or separate cables for controls & AV

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:01 am

Adeptus wrote:For your 2-player idea, you could use a 15-pin plug (either NeoGeo controller style, or VGA style)
9 pins for controller + 2 pins each for video, audio L, audio R = 15 pins

Either that or separate cables for controls & AV
That actually sounds like a good idea (the 15-pin plug). However, if it would work, how would I wire it all?

Also, about the separate cables, I was planning on that from the start. If the 15-pin plug concept would work, I might just do that. Though in practice it sounds difficult, in the long run, it sounds like a good idea.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:40 pm

you would wire up the player two controller to the player two spot and have the A/V in parallel and the have the second player dummy controller with an input to its screen...

You do have good ideas and they are achievable...good luck!
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:03 pm

Krepticor wrote:you would wire up the player two controller to the player two spot and have the A/V in parallel and the have the second player dummy controller with an input to its screen...

You do have good ideas and they are achievable...good luck!
Cool. Thanx. Gotta schematic for it?

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:17 pm

just look in the sticky for the pinout of the A/V and the controller and combine them to a single port and then run that port to the dummy controller and run the wires to their respected places!

I might recommend a Gen3 or a Gen2 Genesis since the radica has limited compatibility
Last edited by Krepticor on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:57 am

Krepticor wrote:just look in the sticky for the pinout of the A/V and the controller and combine them to a single port and then run that port to the dummy controller and run the wires to their respected places!
Cool. Thanx.

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:53 pm

Also, does NE1 know all the parts and tools that I'll need.

Besides:

*Soldering iron
*Desoldering pump
*3" TFT screen
*Radica-brand Genny
*White LEDs

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:12 pm

johnnyC wrote:Also, does NE1 know all the parts and tools that I'll need.

Besides:

*Soldering iron
*Desoldering pump
*3" TFT screen
*Radica-brand Genny
*White LEDs
You'll need screwdrivers, solder, and some resistors to keep the leds from dying. And lamerspeak like NE1 isn't really though highly of here.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:23 pm

A Genesis cartridge slot
And various parts for you second player port

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:09 pm

Yeah, I was in a hurry when I wrote that last reply.

So, I need:
  • Soldering iron
    Desoldering pump
    Xacto Knife
    Screwdriver
    Radica Genny
    Genesis cartridge slot
    2 DB15 Female plugs
    1 DB15 Male to Male cable
    Solder
    Resistors
    White LEDs
    3" TFT screen
Also, what could I use for the battery? I have an RC battery (and hopefully the charger), but I could use something else.