Best computer remote?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!
Best computer remote?

Post by madc0w » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:27 pm

What would be the best RF based computer remote to buy for cheap. All I want to do is be able to start and control Itunes from my kitchen (~35 feet away, through one wall) Some suggestions guys?
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:05 pm

I've used a RF one that came with my ATI Radion All-in-Wonder. You have to be within 20-25 feet of the receiver, but you can have the receiver moved around as it's on a pretty long cable (3-4 feet). It's also USB, so it's almost just plug-n-play. If you're interested look and see if it's for sale at ATI.com and it's $50.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Sparkfist wrote:I've used a RF one that came with my ATI Radion All-in-Wonder. You have to be within 20-25 feet of the receiver, but you can have the receiver moved around as it's on a pretty long cable (3-4 feet). It's also USB, so it's almost just plug-n-play. If you're interested look and see if it's for sale at ATI.com and it's $50.
I have one older than the one for sale at ati.com, I might be able to sell it to you.

madc0w

Post by madc0w » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:16 pm

Pics and how much skid?
Also, this looks good. Also, I'm considering just buying a tuner card with a remote that comes with it.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:30 pm

madc0w wrote:Pics and how much skid?
Also, this looks good. Also, I'm considering just buying a tuner card with a remote that comes with it.
I'm pretty sure it looks like this. Its in a box and I don't want to get it now. We can negotiate price.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:28 pm

Yep that's what I have. I can tell you from experiance that you can use the D-Pad as a substitute for a mouse. I haven't tried it with iTunes, but chances are good taht once you have iTunes up as the top window you should be able to use the Play/FF/RW/Stop/Pause buttons.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:45 pm

I don't know about the ATI one, but most remotes are IR not RF, meaning you need line-of-sight to use them.

vskid

Post by vskid » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:02 pm

Adeptus wrote:I don't know about the ATI one, but most remotes are IR not RF, meaning you need line-of-sight to use them.
Mine is RF, I think you are thinking of tv remotes, almost all of those are IR.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:09 pm

I have Griffin's Airclick, and it works really well. It includes the remote, USB receiver, and software to use with apps like iTunes, DVD Player, Quicktime, ect. as well as things like Powerpoint or Keynote. I did some tests on it's range and I was able to get it to work from about 50 feet away through no walls (maybe more, Griffin claims 60 feet, but I didn't have more than 50 feet without walls to test with), and also about 35 feet through 3 walls (me downstairs, computer upstairs, two rooms away) You can probably get it for cheaper than $40 if you shop around, i got mine for $30. Great product, works flawlessly on my Mac, hopefully the same on a Windows (for your sake).
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

madc0w

Post by madc0w » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:10 am

Perfect! That seems great for what I need.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult