PS2 RGB...If you've done it please come here!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:27 am

hmmm.....perhaps some type of circuit to hit a switch every once in a while....could be done relatively easily, I think...anyone want to try? I could maybe figure it out, but that would mean relearning a lot of stuff about clock circuits and whatnot, and quite frankly, I don't have time right now :P!!!
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:20 pm

That's a POC! (piece of cake)
Just get a PIC16F627 or PIC16F84 (whichever you happen to have) and write some simple ASM code to drive a transistor every 30-40minutes.

Or what would be better?
Use a resistor-capacitor network as an DAC to remove the green tint.
In fact, you could probably just use a simple 1-transistor amplifier for each RB line. The overall screen would be slightly brighter, without a green tint.

I hope you can make some sense of my rambling. Why not just amplify the red and blue signals to cancel out the green?

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:28 pm

amplifying the R and B lines wouldnt work because you would get a pinkish tint until the green tint kicks in...

Of course I don't know how to write any code so using a PIC won't help me at all :(
Use a resistor-capacitor network as an DAC

I have no idea what that means... :cry:

-Segasonicfan

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:02 pm

yeah, I figured it'd be pretty simple.....perhaps if I have free time in school, I'll come up with a circuit to do that, if I can :P (gotta keep that electronics knowledge from the summer still ;)).
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:12 pm

I recently bought a Sync Separator IC that can take a composite sync signal (such as from PS2, etc) and split it into Hori and Vert, for use with VGA monitors.

A bit busy to test it now, but once I do will give ya'll the scoop!

-Ben

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:22 pm

Let me know how it works - Composite sync is only 15KHz, yet VGA needs 31KHz with seperate V and H sync signals.

Does it act as a scan doubler as well?

eastsider_1

Post by eastsider_1 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:53 pm

That would be great if it works, i have a 10" VGA lcd in my room waiting to be used......that be funny if i could hook it up to my PS2M tho :o
PS2M-99% -Final Stages of the 1st O.G. PS2 Portable (Will this ever get done??)

PSTwoSP- 50%
Rewiring Controller, LED Modding Screen

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:42 am

yeah that would be good. Then I could get a JAMMA board working on a monitor! (unless of course the signal is still too weak)
Making XNA Games in C#.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:56 pm

Ben is probably talking about one of the new Intersil sync chips, the ISL59885 or EL1883. Neither of these work as a scan doubler and as far as I know there's no such one-chip solution for scan doubling. It takes a crap load of work to make a sync scan doubler looking at the scehematic on ELM's page (elm-chan.org) and it's probably something I will never attempt. You gotta stick with an X-RGB for that ;)

-Segasonicfan

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:19 pm

I don't suppose it would work, but... Has anyone tried the touching-the-lines-with-switches trick to see if it gets around the RGB DVD playback problem (anti-piracy)? I suppose you wouldn't know, segasonicfan, because you already had a modchip installed when you did this fix, right?

If not, does anyone know of a way of getting around that without using a modchip on a Slim PS2? If you're worried about derailing the thread, PM me the answer to this particular question.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:16 pm

heh, this thread is so old...lets go ahead and derail it :P

I'm 99.9% sure the switch trick will not fix the DVD playback. That's macrovision protections which is Sony encoding the crap out of the RGB output through the PS2 chroma encoder. There is no way to fix this without modding the PS2 in some way, since it is encoded from the source and quite hard/impossible to decode to get pure RGB again.

There's a mod out there for old PS2's where you can cut a trace to disable RGB but there has yet to be such a mod discovered for the slimline (as far as I know).

-Segasonicfan

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:43 am

Ah, I see. Oh well. I did some reading last night. Well, a lot of reading, googling, etc. Looking at modchips, boot discs, comparing prices. Appearently the DVD Region X disc can get around the DVD-RGB problem. Some one sells them fairly cheap on ebay. But.. I can get a decent mod chip for not much more. Might end up getting the Ghost 2. It's fairly cheap and should do what I need.

davicoro

Post by davicoro » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:52 pm

i have just one question!!!

is posible to connect the video signals to output RBG only for games
and switch to "*the yellow calbe" for DVD playback???

*sorry... i dont know how to call that cable in english...

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:46 pm

You mean composite. Yes. Actually I believe segasonicfan (I think) did that at one time. Had a switch to switch over to composite whenever needed (like when this RGB trouble kicked in).

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:19 am

Yeah, I did have that on my PS2. The PSOne screen enters composite mode automatically when a sync line is detected at the composite input. So a simple on/off switch can do the job.

-Segasonicfan