VMware Player Ethernet Question

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

vb_master
VMware Player Ethernet Question

Post by vb_master » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:28 am

I'm using VMware player to emulate Backtrack 1.0 Final. I can't get it to get on the internet, I have a Belkin USB wireless key. I don't have that enabled in Backtrack, but it is in Winsows. It is not shared, I have the VMware ethernets NATted, but it won't go on the internet. When I pressed the button in VMware Player to let it get the USB key, it didnot show up in Backtrack's config panel for USB. Anyone got any suggestions?

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:08 am

You don't want the OS in VMWare accessing the USB device directly. Only one OS can use it at a time, and right now Windows is using it. When you set up a virtual machine in VMWare, it creates a virtual network adapter for the VM. It's like a virtual PCI network card. It uses the network connection Windows has, in this case the USB wireless thingy, to give this virtual device connectivity. So do what you have to do in Backtrack (whatever that is) to install a standard network adapter. I hope what I said helps.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:50 am

scherzo wrote:So do what you have to do in Backtrack (whatever that is) to install a standard network adapter. I hope what I said helps.
So how do I do this? This is Backtrack by the way, it owns.

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:55 am

Ah, just another distro. Look for HOWTOs specific to BackTrack. That's all I can say. However you normally setup network will most likely work. When I install Ubuntu in VMWare, it auto-detects the "card" enables the correct driver and all is good.