Battery short circuit!!!

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Trampoline
Battery short circuit!!!

Post by Trampoline » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:27 pm

Hello,
When I connected the positive of the battery to the jack and then the negative to the jack and I accidentally touched the wires together...oops. It made a spark and I am wondering...Is my battery ruined? (It was only 25 dollars with the charger)
Thank you,
Jesse

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Battery short circuit!!!

Post by vskid » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:46 pm

Trampoline wrote:Hello,
When I connected the positive of the battery to the jack and then the negative to the jack and I accidentally touched the wires together...oops. It made a spark and I am wondering...Is my battery ruined? (It was only 25 dollars with the charger)
Thank you,
Jesse
If it was for just a second it should be ok. The price sounds like it isn't a lithium battery, and ni-cd and ni-mh can deal with those small shorts.

Trampoline

Post by Trampoline » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:11 pm

Dude, I thought I was screwed. Well anyways it works, I tested it in my airsoft gun. Yay! It works. Thanks vskid.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:22 pm

Trampoline wrote:Dude, I thought I was screwed. Well anyways it works, I tested it in my airsoft gun. Yay! It works. Thanks vskid.
Yep, glad I could help.
I accidentally shorted my 9.6v rc battery for at least 30 seconds, it got pretty hot but still worked. Just don't short any kind of lithium batteries, they heat up really fast and burst into flames.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:28 pm

lithium based batteries (li-ion and li-poly) can catch fire or even literally explode like a grenade, you dont want to wire one wrong, or run it without protection circuits

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:11 pm

And that's why I recommend NiMH. :)

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:05 pm

Triton wrote:lithium based batteries (li-ion and li-poly) can catch fire or even literally explode like a grenade, you dont want to wire one wrong, or run it without protection circuits
i touched the + and - leads on one of my li-polys together once and it scared me crap
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Trampoline wrote:Dude, I thought I was screwed. Well anyways it works, I tested it in my airsoft gun. Yay! It works. Thanks vskid.
Airsoft rocks! I only play backyard games, (nobody I know has any good guns anyway :P ) and it's awesome. Glad to hear it works.
Making XNA Games in C#.

Trampoline

Post by Trampoline » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:02 pm

Sweet! I have another problem with the battery. This is awesome! [end of sarcasm] Well, anyways, I am making the CNC Nesp in Ben's book. The problem is that when I connect the positive to the center terminal of the jack and when I try to connect the negative of the battery to the outside terminal, it makes a spark, just like its shorting out (which it is). What am I doing wrong? See pages in Ben's book 217 and 220.
Thanks for the help,
Jesse

*o*

Post by *o* » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:18 am

i accidnetally shorted 2 AA's in a plastic battery holder and the holder melted lol
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:39 am

Trampoline wrote:Sweet! I have another problem with the battery. This is awesome! [end of sarcasm] Well, anyways, I am making the CNC Nesp in Ben's book. The problem is that when I connect the positive to the center terminal of the jack and when I try to connect the negative of the battery to the outside terminal, it makes a spark, just like its shorting out (which it is). What am I doing wrong? See pages in Ben's book 217 and 220.
Thanks for the help,
Jesse
well. first of all, some things spark when you plug them in. esp. things with big capacitors. if the two sides of your jack are shorted together, well... then thats your problem right there! :roll:. the only way to fix a short is to find it manually and remove it.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"