Post Limits

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:08 pm

Ya, I think we should cut down on spammy posts, but not by punishing everyone. For instance, I post in threads to help people and I don't think I've ever spammed. My posts have a point. But at one time, my post count was at about 11 a day, so I would be "breaking" the rules (it's down to about 7 now because of lack of activity here, but whatever). But I agree, atari2600a posts too much, and too spammily. I think he had over 20 posts a day at one point!

CTFan

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:08 am

I continue to see very little actually wrong with these forums. I read only the threads which seem interesting to me, and those threads tend to contain just enough spam so as to be flavorfull rather than dull.

I think the social incentives already in place are forcefull enough to maintain the status quo.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:12 am

teraflop122 wrote:I think the social incentives already in place are forcefull enough to maintain the status quo.
Wtf.

I never noticed that thing with the months. :shock: But damn, It's still a good comparison.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:27 am

Very well. It was just a suggestion.

I should really be more clear. When I thought of this I was looking at this post in another phpBB forum:
The Admin of some googled forum wrote:I have added a post limit mod to the board that will let the admins apply a daily post limit on a per-user basis. When a user reaches their daily post limit, they will not be able to post again within 24 hrs of their post of the day. At the end of this period, the count is reset. Be aware that post edits count toward the limit, too. PMs are unaffected.

I will not apply this limit lightly. This is a real penalty, as opposed to the silliness we call The Cane. This is a next-to-last resort to be used just short of a ban, with the hope that the penalized user will carefully consider their posts in the future.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:29 am

Even if such a thing were done, and it might not be, applying it to edits would be a bad idea in my opinion...
Warranty-Voiding fun!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:31 am

MM007 wrote:Even if such a thing were done, and it might not be, applying it to edits would be a bad idea in my opinion...
Is it possible to apply a post limit to phpbb?

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:50 am

There are HUNDREDS, if not thousands of phpBB mods available. (ermm...679) Here:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/