Compact Flash I vs II

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

SurfinFool
Compact Flash I vs II

Post by SurfinFool » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:22 pm

Does anyone know the difference between the two Compact Flash types, is it just, say width or is there a different connection?
Thanks

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:01 pm

Difference is the thickness of the cards. Most if not all Compactflash cards made today are Type II, however a lot of devices are still desiged to work with both Type I and II. And to clearify the Type I is the thicker of the two, I don't remember the exact figure but it's something near twice the thickness of Type II.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

SurfinFool

Post by SurfinFool » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:37 pm

So the thickness is the only difference? cool thanks

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:56 pm

Sparkfist wrote:Difference is the thickness of the cards. Most if not all Compactflash cards made today are Type II, however a lot of devices are still desiged to work with both Type I and II. And to clearify the Type I is the thicker of the two, I don't remember the exact figure but it's something near twice the thickness of Type II.
You have the types backward. Type I (i.e. flash memory cards, wifi cards) is small, and Type II (i.e. microdrives) is large.