Damn DDR pad!!!!!!!

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
Damn DDR pad!!!!!!!

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:08 pm

As some of you know, I am an avid DDR player. I started off buying those cheapo $20 pads from GameStop, but by about the time I started dancing on Standard mode, the pads started breaking. Pad after pad, ooohhh the carnage! Anyways, I figured it was one of those "you get what you pay for" things, so I bought one of those super-thick Red Octane raised-arrow $100 pads last November. They had been working well since we broke 'em open, and then I took a break from DDR for a few months. Well I've been pulling it out more and more now, and the right arrow began acting buggy. Today when dancing on Heavy mode, the arrow stopped working on in-game mode completely! Any way to fix it? Or do I have to save up more $$$ to buy my dream metal pad that's way out of my current budget?

Also, is it possible to mod a PS2 DDR pad to have USB connectivity to play it on, say, stepmania?

CTFan

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Warranty?
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:17 pm

I've seen how-to's on the interweb on taking the Conroller PCB's & putting them in home-made metal pads. (Google is your friend)

Adeptus

Re: Damn DDR pad!!!!!!!

Post by Adeptus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:39 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Also, is it possible to mod a PS2 DDR pad to have USB connectivity to play it on, say, stepmania?
Some (NOT all) PS2-USB adapters support dance mats.
Look around on www.lik-sang.com or do some Googling.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:17 pm

hack-a-day has a "industrial strength" Dance pad project
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:52 pm

Ah yes... building your own DDR pad. I'm gonna do that once I get the cash. (D*** money always holding me back...) Mine's going to be totally different from the others, though. It will be 100% unbreakable... unless the electronics fail or something. :wink: