Ideas for Radica-related modding

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

johnnyC
Ideas for Radica-related modding

Post by johnnyC » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:47 pm

Make a custom machine that holds the ROM chips from all the Sega Radica's (Blue, Red, SF2CE, Super Sonic Gold, and maybe the racing one), that way I could play them on the road and switch between them.

Also, for the Street Fighter chip, include a second controller. Either that or make a 2nd one, and they could have a mode where the game could be displayed on both screens.

For example, Tina and Tony have 2 of my Radica portables, and when they play SF2, Tina will send the audio and video signal to Tony's portable, and Tony's controller will connect to Tina's portable).

Although that last thing might be possible for all 2-player games, not just SF2. Also, the controller will be the SF2CE's 6-button pad adhered to the portable.

BTW, I plan on modding a portable TV, one of the Radica units (whichever will serve my needs best) and cram it all in an old plastic VHS case. The local video store is selling the at 5 cases for 99cents.

Also, it will still have the RCA cable for hooking it up to a TV. And have stereo sound (possibly). I might also have a rechargeable battery pack. And a car adapter.

EDIT: Actually, forget the Super Sonic Gold thing.
Last edited by johnnyC on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:32 pm

Another idea would be making a clone Genesis home console that plays Genesis games, MegaDrive games, compatibility with the Sega CD and 32X (unless the Revision 3 Genny), and have all those game loaded up on the thing on a separate board.

Oh, and can the Radica support the Sega CD attachement in any way?

EDIT: I now know that the Radica Genny doesn't support SCD or 32X.

If you think that anything I've said makes me a dreamer (or better yet, a MADMAN!!!!), plz tell me.

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am

Also, for my portable Radica Genesis, I might hack up a PSone screen (once I find one) and cram the screen into a separate case. I guess I could make it a two-part portable ala the GBA SP, with a flip screen. I'll upload a possible sketch in the near future.

For now, I'll leave you with a description.

As I said, it will have a flip screen. It will feature a white LED mod, speakers (either the speakers built into the PSone screen or new ones), that will make use of a nifty stereo mod of the actual Radica.

As for the actual unit, it will be built into a VHS case. Inside, there will be a battery compartment (possibly powered by an old R/C battery or such), a modded Radica, and a slightly hacked-up controller, not to mention some switches and stuff.

As for the hacked Radica, the RCA plugs (for connecting to a TV) will remain intact, and one can toggle between this and the monitor. Also, a stereo mod will be implemented, for obvious reasons. Also included is a special board (if possible) containing the ROM chips from the V1 (the blue one), the V2 (the red one), and the Street Fighter 2 unit (which the system will be built and get the controller from), not to mention a possible slot for Genesis cartridges. The controller will actually be the SF2's controller, all hacked up and built into the front of the case.

However, due to my n00b status, I may need some tech assistence. For one, could I make a custom board with 3 ROM chips and something to switch between the 3 chips and a cartridge slot? Also, would I have enough room for the essentials?

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:40 am

Anyone wanna say something? Cuz I might need help.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:52 pm

Another idea: Don't multi-post.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:28 pm

Indigno wrote:Another idea: Don't multi-post.
I didn't. Some posts actually resemble each other.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:20 pm

I believe Indigno meant "don't post multiple times without someone else posting in between". The posts need not be the same for a multi-post, and such multi-posts are frowned upon here. We have an edit button for that reason.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:27 pm

MM007 wrote:I believe Indigno meant "don't post multiple times without someone else posting in between". The posts need not be the same for a multi-post, and such multi-posts are frowned upon here. We have an edit button for that reason.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sorry. It's just that I'm afraid to spend about $80 on all 3 Sega Radica's and about $100 on some cheapo portable TV and then end up with a pile of useless technology. If I want to waste money on misuse of technology, I'd just buy the Paris Hilton CD.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:17 pm

If you have more information to add to a post, use the "edit" button.
I'm totally the 2008th member.

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:47 pm

Look at the dates, he was bumping sort of.

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

johnnyC

Post by johnnyC » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:08 am

Sword_Gun wrote:Look at the dates, he was bumping sort of.
For one, I wasn't. And if I just added all that to the first post, it would be too long.

For another, at least I never got off topic. I'm the only one talking about the project. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm just starting with modding and all I ask is for help.

Also, would a 2.5 inch screen be good? Would it be to small? Whaddabout a 3 inch screen?

Like I said, I don't want to end up with a messed up device and an almost $200 hole in my wallet.