Bondo

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

scherzo
Bondo

Post by scherzo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:19 pm

I went to my local and semi-large Ace Hardware today looking for Bondo. All they had in the actual Bondo brand was some stuff that hardened in sunlight. Something for cars. I asked someone there if they had Bondo. I told him that I needed it for a small project of mine to join plastics and/or metals, but that I didn't want epoxy. I also mentioned that I wanted to be able to sand it after it cured (inspired by joedog's recent work). He pointed me to this stuff called J-B Weld. "World's Finest Cold Weld" I don't think this is the same though, right? Can someone point me to a product image, perhaps at an online store, that has exact type of Bondo I need. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:29 pm

the best combonation of bondo i have used is definitly bondo marine putty, which dries pretty hard and has a certain amount of give to it so it doesnt crack, and then bondo glaze and spot putty from a tube over it, which fills in the gaps and small wholes almost flawlessly and is very easy to sand.

check out www.midwayautosupply.com that is where i got my bondo because i couldnt find any near me
Last edited by Turbo Tax 1.0 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:29 pm

Quick search for Bondo on Froogle.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:17 am

My stepfather swears by J-B Weld... he actually bonded his work boots back together with it! :shock: He didn't have the money to buy a new pair, and the bottom/left side (you know where I'm talking about) of his right boot was half torn off... that J-B Weld really held on for a while. :P He has used it to fix many plastic/metal items, and I recently used it to bond a pair of metal springs to plastic. (Cheapo Wal-Mart flip-top garbage can... springs kept flying off into the trash.) It should work fine, though I've never used Bondo, so I can't compare.