PCB Board

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Indigno
PCB Board

Post by Indigno » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:46 am

Yesterday, I was at radio shack getting some LED's and some resistors, and I saw a 6x8 sheet of PCB board. The board had no holes, lines, or anything, it was just a big sheet of plastic with a copper leaf on top. How would I go about using this? Could I just score where I want the lines to go with an exacto knife, or would I have to have some sort of machine do this for me?
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:15 am

the PCB is actually some type of fiberboard, not plastic. Otherwise it would melt :)

You can do it two ways:

1. Draw your circuit traces with a sharpie, etch it with ferric chloride, and voila!

2. Design the PCB on the computer, flip it horizontally, print on photo paper, iron onto PCB, take off paper leaving toner intact, and etch. Remove toner with acetone or any solvent.
For more info: google "Tom Gootee"

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:40 am

marshallh wrote:the PCB is actually some type of fiberboard, not plastic. Otherwise it would melt :)

You can do it two ways:

1. Draw your circuit traces with a sharpie, etch it with ferric chloride, and voila!

2. Design the PCB on the computer, flip it horizontally, print on photo paper, iron onto PCB, take off paper leaving toner intact, and etch. Remove toner with acetone or any solvent.
I did this, I have pics if you want to see the board.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:47 am

vb_master wrote:
marshallh wrote:the PCB is actually some type of fiberboard, not plastic. Otherwise it would melt :)

You can do it two ways:

I did this, I have pics if you want to see the board.
sure :)
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:55 pm

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:07 pm

marshallh wrote:2. Design the PCB on the computer, flip it horizontally, print on photo paper, iron onto PCB, take off paper leaving toner intact, and etch. Remove toner with acetone or any solvent.
That's what I'll be doing for my porta... wait... no, it's a secret. Only Marshall knows. :P