weird TV problem

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199
weird TV problem

Post by Triton » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:33 pm

i got a tv dvd combo at a garagesale today and it has a weird problem, the dvd player works, the picture tube works the speakers work but the picture tube does NOT display any sort of video, it shows the OSD and everything and appears to work but no video inputs including the internal dvd player, work at all, i get sound and it puts OUT video but doesnt display, so as of now i have a large overweight dvd player with a non functioning (properly) CRT. any ideas?

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:15 am

Dude you are the Frakencase master. Rip out the dvd player, make a case for it and mod it for use on other tvs. :roll:
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:25 am

If you are going to open that TV case, be sure to discharge the cathod. I've heard nothing but bad things if you don't. Also are you sure the tube works? You can get standard TV channels? If you are unable to get things like AUX in or stuff like that, double check the DVD player works and then see if the connection from the DVD to the TV is solid or even there.

Good luck
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:17 am

I have no idea, but you said it puts out a video signal...

I say rip out the DVD player hardware and rig it up in a seperate case, maybe an old PS2 case (the original, tray-loading model).

As Sparkfist said, make sure you discharge the cathrode tube before you go screwing around with it, just to be safe. I've worked on TVs and compact macs with the 9" B+W screen, and it's kind of unnerving knowing you're only inches away from a tens of thousands volts of electricity. :shock:

edit: better? :P
Last edited by bicostp on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:04 am

not a couple of hundred K just 10,000 to 36,000 volts >.> cathode ray tubes are scarey, if i couldnt fix the tv i was gonna frankencase the dvd player. the picture tube works, i can see the on screen display andeveryting it just doesnt receive and other video signal, havent tried coax yet but i wil later

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:17 pm

Try different A/V cables, the gold coated ones are the best, Ive had this happen to me before.

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

Triton

Post by Triton » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:28 pm

its not the cables, NO INPUTS WORK not fromt he built in dvd player (workes, puts out video from vid out ) or av 1 or 2