Firefox APPS + Themes + Extensions

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Nonsense Man
Firefox APPS + Themes + Extensions

Post by Nonsense Man » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:24 pm

What are some of your recomended firefox apps,themes, and extensions and how do you change the homepage and is there a button so you can open your e-mail and is this legal https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/ like is it legal to download home movies not copied shows or movies ?? And thanks to the people that told me to get firefox and this is portable firefox if it makes any difference:D

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:57 pm

Here's my full list of extensions:

AdBlock- removes ads from websites. It doesn't just hide them, it removes them so you don't see big blank squares all over the place

AdBlock Filterset.G Updater- Keeps AdBlock up to date with the great FilterSet.G definitions.

FasterFox- Performance tweaks to boost speed. (web pages load about twice as fast as usual since I installed it)

GreaseMonkey- Apply scripts to web pages after you load them. No it isn't malicious; it does things like add a download link to YouTube, or replace the Newgrounds text ads with a download link for the Flash video you're watching

Tab Mix Plus: Lots of tab tweaks, plus a session manager so you can open all the pages you left off on when you closed Firefox

FoxyTunes- Adds a media player control set to the bottom of the Firefox window (the status bar where is says stuff like "Transferring data from benheck.com..."). It has rpeconfigured control sets for most common media players, plus I think you can set your own.

Bork Bork Bork! - Makes web pages look like Swedish Chef wrote them all with speech-recognition programs. (You can also "Bork Copy", copy bork-ified text to the clipboard.) Aren't I silly? :P

CustomizeGoogle - Tons and tons of Google tweaks. Right now I have it set to remove ads, and provide links directly to images in the Image Search feature (it removes that middleman page, but gives a small link to it).

BackgroundImageSaver - Save the back ground image on web pages. This is useful for YTMND.

Now, for your questions...

"how do you change the homepage" - Select "Options" under the Tools menu. It should be in there. The cool thing is that if you have more than one tab opened, you can have it open all those pages as your home page "set". (I have mine set to the Firefox Google default page, the forums here, and a blank.)

"s there a button so you can open your e-mai[l]" - You can add a bookmark ("favorite" for you IE switchers) to the bookmarks toolbar.

"is ther an ebay search engine add on" - There shgould be an ebay search already. Up in the top right corner, if you click and hold on the Google [G], you'll get a selection of search engines. eBay should be a t the bottom. You can also <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/search-engines.php">add mroe search engines to that</a>. If it's not there, check this out: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/quick/ebay.html

"is this legal https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/ like is it legal to download home movies not copied shows or movies" - Yes, if you download home videos. However, that extension will just bring you to another website. I use http://keepvid.com/ for getting videos off YouTube and other sites. It works well and isn't full of crapware or ads.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:35 pm

i had adblock, fasterfox, and some accu-weather thing installed.

adblock is very good, you should get it.

fasterfox appeared to have some kind of memory leak, and it made firefox preform quite poorly. i got rid of it.

the weather thing is handy, i always know what tempterature it is (in kelvins :D)

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 am

sessionsaver, cutemenus, foxytunes, active stop button,DownThemAll

Dark Savant0

Post by Dark Savant0 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:38 am

http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13025&start=0

Check there, there are many good suggestions, as well as the list I have.

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:20 pm

Are there any Spell Checking applications??

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:58 pm

I did used to have one. I think it was called 'A spell fox' or something along those lines.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:18 pm

sam fisher wrote:I did used to have one. I think it was called 'A spell fox' or something along those lines.
You mean this.

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:33 am

That looks like the one.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:14 am

Does anyone know if there is an extension that will make another tab bar (one on top of the other) so that you can have a lot of tabs open and still be able to see what they are?

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:14 am

I use Adblock and Fasterfox. They both work great!

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:16 am

Please change your avatar, lifeisbetterwithketchup. It says that the site doesn't allow hotlinking, so a huge picture comes up explaining that....

(people using firefox can, of course, just block the images from that site for now, as I have done :P)
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:59 am

Ya change the avatar for the IE users/people whith no Ad Block at first i thought something was screwed up

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:31 pm

Heh, sorry about that.

Guess I'm officially a noob.