Time Travel?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:05 pm

Gamer, what did I just say?

Also, you guys need to read up on General/Special Relativity, Quantum Mechanics and probably Super String Theory (maybe even quantum electrodynamics).
-Luke

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:07 pm

sorry luc, we posted at the same time

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:49 pm

So your saying faster than lightspeed travel is impossible? Well then would taking shortcuts through space via a wormhole be feasible, therefore getting 'ahead' of light. I read this and was not sure what to make of it.

You (luc) sound like you know a hell of a lot of physics, the math of this whole thing, so I might as well ask this question to you. What the hell are gravitons? I remember one day our teacher went into a rant about them, and it's been bugging me ever since. I looked them up on wikipedia and it said they are the little things that cause gravity between objects. Are they indeed real? Or are they just a theory?

EDIT: Isn't it also possible to 'slow' light down, i.e. when it passes through a fluid, etc. What would happen if something were to go faster than light at this point? Or would it not matter at all

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:57 pm

Lucretius wrote:Quick warning: anybody who tries to jepordize the serious nature some are trying to reach with this topic will be punished...

I think one thing should be understood. There is no faster than light period. There's no hypothesizing about it. It can't and won't happen ever. That said, the speed of flight is only useful in future travels. The thing with time is, thought it isn't constant, it is uni-direction and linear. Foward only. 1 dimension of time. 3 of space. Several others for m-theory purposes. Velocity at speeds approaching lightspeed (because nothing created at the speed of light, can ever reach it), though usefull in slowing time down, are powerless to completely stop and reverse it.

And no, gravity and time are only related in relative schemes and not by any direct means like velocity and time.
Um, well, FTL travel from the point of an observer is possible...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
You compress the space in front of you, while expanding the space behind you. So really, you dont move, you move the universe around you. ;)

I love physics stuff like this. :) A good book on things like this is Michio Kaku's Parallel Worlds. Lots of fun.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:11 pm

http://afrotechmods.com/timetravel.htm

The Time Travelling Amiga

In 1983 I fell off a toilet seat and had a vision... of the flux capacitor- a device that would allow time travel.I worked on it steadily for many years. Several movies based on mywork were even created during that time. Finally, in 1988 it was complete.Behold, the flux capacitor!

I decided to use the flux capacitorto send the most futuristic computer in the world into the future: an Amiga500 with the extra 512k ram upgrade.

I attached the Amiga to my radiocontrol car for propulsion.

For time travel to occur, the fluxcapacitor had to be driven to a speed of 88 mph. That's pretty tough fora radio control car to do. Fortunately my high tech fuel Afroglycerin wasup to the job!

Here was the car + Amiga at 87mph just about to travel into the future! It shortly disappeared afterwards,never to be seen for many years.

Five minutes ago, in the year 2001the Amiga burst into my room, and crashed into some junk lying on my floor!I found some ice deposits on the machine, but otherwise it was intact.

Why waste time on emulation? I urgeyou all to send all your computers and consoles into the future so whenyou receive them, you can play nostalgic games!

Big-O

Post by Big-O » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:16 pm

If anyone can time travel, someone bring me back that sandwhich I lost three weeks ago.

sam

Post by sam » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:11 pm

Wow, want to blow your mind? Think about this, you have a ego, superego and id. All relating back to my course in Aps (anthropology, psychology, and sociology) If you think about it, you are in control of your own reality what you percive(see) is different than what is interperited by your brain. I this deals with a multitude of different quantum theories, there was a video about it that actually hurt to comprehend. Anyways what I was getting at is, theoretically you can interperit time travel and then it may happen or something (forgot the theory). Was good stuff.
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:16 pm

Time travel is possible, but you can only go forward.

*hits head with hammer*

-one hour later-

Cool! I traveled one hour into the future!

On a more serious note, I think one piece of proof that you can't go at least backwards is that we haven't seen anyone from the future here.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:28 pm

IF they were from the future, would they tell us? No. It could flip out history.
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

warmachine

Post by warmachine » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:50 pm

teraflop122 wrote:Understanding time travel requires you to wrap your mind around some concepts barely within the limits of human comprehension. Time is not linear- that is a human simplification. Neither must there be multiple universes- that is also a human simplification. We perceive space as three dimensions, and time makes a fourth dimension, but more than seven dimension exist. It is completely impossible for any human to visualize 7th dimensional space, so it'll take a while for us to figure out the dynamics of such a complex system.
Hey joevennix, you should pick up Edwin Abbot's Flatland (a 60-something page read you can get at any bookstore), it might help further explain the difficulty that teraflop was pointing out. Basically, since we are three dimensonal entities, we observe shapes in three dimensions, but, as the premise of the novel goes, a two-dimensional object can only observe in two dimensions. For instance, a 3D sphere visits Flatland (a 2D world), but appears only as a circle, because the 2D creatures that reside there can only see the X & Y axes of the sphere, not the Z axis, which inherently makes an object 3D. The same goes for humans: like the squares and circles of flatland, we have filters that keep us from seeing outside of the third dimension. For instance, a hypercube or hypersphere, which are the fourth dimensional* counterparts of their respective 3D shapes, would only appear to us as spheres and cubes, because we can only see in three dimensions.

*Hypershapes are not just limited to four dimensions, as hyper is a prefix assigned to any shape with more than three dimensions. In concept, a hypershape could exist in as many as x^4...x^n dimensions, where x is a measure of distance equal on all concerned axes, and n is a number less than infinity. While this makes for good concept, it is, to the best of my knowledge, pretty much restricted to only a few more dimensions than four.

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:00 am

Lucretius wrote:Gamer, what did I just say?

Also, you guys need to read up on General/Special Relativity, Quantum Mechanics and probably Super String Theory (maybe even quantum electrodynamics).
God, I hate all related string theories. Better go read up on them.

Anyway, Gamer, you got it wrong. The faster the speed of an object the slower time is too pass.

@HK-47:

Hmmm, space folding. Just grab a couple thousand stars and cause them all to supernova then you would have enough energy to fold space for a space shuttle for about 3 seconds.

@sam:

I believe you may be referring, in a vague way, to a concensus reality?

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:22 am

As far as i know the closer you get to the speed of light the slower time passes for you, so you travel at the speed of light for what you think is a year, but in actual fact a hundred years had past

Also this method eliminates the paradox of meeting yourself, because you were on the ship there would be another "you" to meet

SavageLych

Post by SavageLych » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:53 am

I have a few problems with what you guys are saying.

1.Don't say somthing is impossible with theorys, there an educated guess, not a proven fact

2. If you go back in time your time machine would not exist(unless your in a diffrent "demension"?

3. I think I understand the demension thingie, have you ever seen the Jet Le movie called "The One"?

4.Scientists have used electricity to cause explosions to move round metal disks (no not flying saucers silly, there about the size of my head) and they found that they go faster right when the explosion occures (ovesly i mean a LOT faster, like a HUGE diffrence) and they think that they may be able to get the diffrence big enough where they might be able to travel threw time (if they could make somthing strong enough and insilated enough to keep you from blowing up or whatever is suposed to happen) which would take a TON of electrical energy, which makes it impossible right now.

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:48 am

We can only see in 3D? How is that? I dont get it, becuase what about when we played that old, NES Super mario bros.? That look 2D to me.

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

sam

Post by sam » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:42 am

Sword_Gun wrote:We can only see in 3D? How is that? I dont get it, becuase what about when we played that old, NES Super mario bros.? That look 2D to me.
But the tv you were watching it on is 3d.

Yeah, I Think that is what I was talking about sam fisher, I watched like 7-8 months ago so I forgot the specifics. And I believe they went even further then the concious mind.

And Savage wtf are you talking about? If you could go back in time* why not take a machine with you? AND furthermore, how would you go "back to the futureâ„¢"
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.