SNES Gamegear? Plausible?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

S q u e e !
SNES Gamegear? Plausible?

Post by S q u e e ! » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:31 pm

Yes? No? I was measuring the board of and SNES mini today, and I realized that I might be able to fit the board inside of a Gamegear! It would require bits of trimming and lots of luck, but I believe it would work. I could drill holes below the buttons for two NES buttons or something, and do some tact switches or pressure pads. For shoulder buttons, I was thinking along the lines of mini switches from Radio Shack. Batteries would be easy, just use the holders already there, and get some 2500mAh Energizer rechargables. Small TV in there and I'd be set! So what do you guys think?
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."

~Eddie Izzard

x24

Post by x24 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:34 pm

I thought someone had done that already.. so its probably possible

S q u e e !

Post by S q u e e ! » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:36 pm

Did they? DAMN!!
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."

~Eddie Izzard

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:30 pm

Kind of. The screen was extrenal and such. Search on POD.
Hey, sup?

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:12 pm

I tried this. I cut down the SNES board too much, and I broke it that way. It'd be very tough to do it, but I'd say you possibly could if you used some small screen like a hipgear, as the PSone screen I tried to use prooved out to be too big.
Making XNA Games in C#.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:19 am

I believe you can slim the psone screen on all four sides into a square. It might fit after that?
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:07 pm

Well a guy called zenloc supposedly succeeded. Search for the gamecubep in a gamegear thread

Motoman

Post by Motoman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:19 pm

x24 wrote:I thought someone had done that already.. so its probably possible
They did, SNESguy did it although the screen was external.

"Living After Midnight"

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:53 pm

Wow, is that a LCD panel alone that folds up? O_o
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:53 pm

I'd say if you're going to make an SNES GameGear like portable, you might as well make the care yourself. Unless an SNOAC comes out I don't think the motherboard would fit well, and most agree on that point. The other is just that you can more easily make modifications to it like add buttons and placement of the DC input/on switch/battery compartments/ect.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:23 pm

Possibly a nomad screen would fit nicely in a gamegear case. And you could use the RGB from the chroma encoder.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:23 am

Klefmung wrote:Possibly a nomad screen would fit nicely in a gamegear case. And you could use the RGB from the chroma encoder.
Just to let you guys know the GameGear used about a 2.5" screen. The Nomad used a 3" screen. If you're looking to still use the case the suggestion of a Hip Gear Screen would be the best as it's 2.6". However I still think that with how big the SNES board is, even a mini would be hard to fit in there with a small screen, so really just build a case that is a slit upscale of the GameGear.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:28 am

If you're really intent on makeing a SNESgear, then I would suggest you wait until Nintendo's patent on the SNES wears out and people atart making SNOACS. Otherwise you're going to have motherboard sticking out.

SNESguy

Post by SNESguy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:08 pm

It's definitely possible (cause I did it), but its definitely a hard task to accomplish. I used the buttons from 2 gamegears and had problems mainly because I chose to use the original gamegear battery compartments (which take up lots of space).

If you're going to make one, do this:

1. Do not use the original battery compartments as they will make it a living hell trying to place all the parts inside. Cut them out.

2. Use a hipgear screen. If I had known about these 3 years ago, then I would have put it in the original screen spot.

3. The mini-SNES only has to filed a little bit, only at the corners.

Hope that helps.

SNESguy
If all else fails, take it apart!