Xbox portable idea

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

zachsjlives
Xbox portable idea

Post by zachsjlives » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:51 am

Well i recently got an xbox and i am kinda reluctant to completely gut it out, so i was trying to think of ideas without changing the actual xbox that much and i was thinking that i could just basically use the origonal case but move things around inside. For example, attach a screen to the top of the xbox (where that xbox logo is) Then put the buttons around it, obviously avoiding the DVD Drive.

I dont know if it would work but i might as well give it a shot, maybe if i can get a few back up xboxs on the cheap. So basically this is just a frankensteining idea but i dunno if it would work.

Zach

MM007

Re: Xbox portable idea

Post by MM007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:05 am

zachsjlives wrote:Well i recently got an xbox and i am kinda reluctant to completely gut it out, so i was trying to think of ideas without changing the actual xbox that much and i was thinking that i could just basically use the origonal case but move things around inside. For example, attach a screen to the top of the xbox (where that xbox logo is) Then put the buttons around it, obviously avoiding the DVD Drive.

I dont know if it would work but i might as well give it a shot, maybe if i can get a few back up xboxs on the cheap. So basically this is just a frankensteining idea but i dunno if it would work.

Zach
But where do you plan to put the battery packs? Also, how can you hold the Xbox for extended periods of time confortably? It might be too deep for your hands to hold and play with comfortably...
Warranty-Voiding fun!

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:08 am

if you remove the power supply you have room to put the btteries

shelter pitfall

Post by shelter pitfall » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:25 am

I hope you have strong arms!

someone

Post by someone » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:51 am

you could get the shoulder straps the marching band people have !!
Current Project=???, N64 PE, SNES PE

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Or the ever poplular backpack with a car battery...

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:01 pm

yea i just got an xbox today and its pretty heavy i mean it would be about as portable as a rock its heavy with just console imagine a screen and the controller and batteres it will be like carrying a weight bench around all day. I personally like that guys idea of downloading an emulator to his laptop and formatting the hard drive to save xbox files.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:31 pm

Just replacing the PSU isnt going to make it any lighter. The bulk of the weight is the DVD-rom and hard drive. I'd say if you wanted a somewhat portable Xbox, put it in a car. Thats about as portable as it will get until we can figure out how to replace the DVD-rom.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:09 pm

yeah otherwise it gets too grey area

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:27 pm

you can put a laptop dvd drive into the unit, they use the same type of connectors

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:27 pm

but cant read original xbox games

someone

Post by someone » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:54 pm

xxxeagle wrote:yea i just got an xbox today and its pretty heavy i mean it would be about as portable as a rock its heavy with just console imagine a screen and the controller and batteres it will be like carrying a weight bench around all day. I personally like that guys idea of downloading an emulator to his laptop and formatting the hard drive to save xbox files.
"its pretty heavy" is a HUGE understatement. it weighs more than fort knox!!!!
Current Project=???, N64 PE, SNES PE

Zeth

Just came out from under the rock

Post by Zeth » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:48 pm

and found this site via xlink's forum.. man oh man, THIS place sparked quite a few plugs in this mans heart. =)

/back to topic...

I too have been pondering on sliming down the xbox, but never went as far in my mind puzzle to make it portable.. This is what I had in mind tho..

Use a laptop dvdrom(as prev mentioned).. toss the hdd & get a ide->CF adapter, get a 1024mb(or bigger) CF to boot from with the essential goodies.. XBMC is my preffered "dash" on the xbox, that and the xbox main dash totals a few hundred megs.

The problem here is of course booting xiso's, but my main usage is multimedia & this would be an affordable solution for me. One could of course use the built in ftp in xbmc to move over xiso's that you have backed up. But the size of the games & price on the CF cards dont allow that for my wallet atm, perhaps a laptop hdd would be a better solution.. I dunno, the ease of CF cards would make it easy to have several cards to swap tho, having one card with emulators(is that a nono on this boards btw ;) ) another with a game or two.. etc.

Well, just had to make a quick post before I turn in for tonight, this is a place I will visit more. Good lord Ive had a grin on my face since I started to read the PS2p article.

Good stuff!

/off topic (again)

Anyone have any thoughts on a c64 portable? I can hardly see it happen, but I would love to be corrected, if notn else on the drawing board. And yes, I got some c64's with tapedecks & floppy drives to spare if anyone got ideas on how to accomplish it.

Greetings from .no,
Z

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:59 am

I have been thinking about a portable xbox for several months now. The DVD drive cannot be replaced by a laptop one and still play games so sorry. Just get a laptop hard drive and save your self the tourble. Then rip out the power supply and put a new micro itx one in and run it off of a 12 volt battery. I was going to use a 7000 mAh 6 volt battery to power it. Throw it in a metal brief case and thats my plan. So yea don't try and over do it that thing's a pain. I'm pretty sure that there are some things missing from my plan as always like the heat shields. But whatever to each his own.
You don't have to worry about the world ending tomorrow, it's already tomorrow in Australia

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:47 am

I think a dvd drive mod like in ben's MGD would work nicely. I'd even be better if you could replace the spindle with a psone one or something similar. My main question though, as I've never actually looked into the xbox, is how big is the processors heat sink? I'm willing to say that they might be more of a problem than the hdd or dvd drive.