Official BlackBox News Thread

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun May 21, 2006 5:27 pm

iam7805 wrote:There's the 16F877A/P (20mHZ) and the 18F252/P (40mHZ). Both of them cost the same, so why not use the faster one?
Overheating, smaller failure rate, I mean, even 20 MHz is faster than hell. It just goes to show everyone that the BB will not handle it's processing as well as an NES would.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun May 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Worry about all the fluff later. For example, I'm working on a Flash music video, and as of now I'm just throwing together basic scenery stuff and the <a href="http://img317.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... t.swf">lip sync mouths</a>. (<- clicky!) I already have the basic idea, but I've just started on the storyboards, I'm not worried about what it will look like exactly yet.

As far as the controllers go, you should determine what kinds of games you plan on running on your machine. This will determine how many buttons you will need. The types of games you will run depend on what kind of processor and storage medium you have. Just figure out what depends on what, and start from the top of the ladder and work down. :)

But if you want my opinion on controllers, ust use spray painted PSX controllers. They're comfortable, cost a pittance, look pretty easy to re-wire, and have a D-pad and 10 buttons.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sun May 21, 2006 6:13 pm

Some of you need to read into this project's details before spewing out irrelavent details of your own. This console is a project by iam7805, and he is currently focusing on the hardware and technical details. Most of the rest of us do not have the skill or the time to contribute to the technical part of the project, so we are focusing on what we can help with.

When a business is developing a console, it fleshes out the general specifications of the console, and multiple groups of engineers split off to fulfill certain needs. Well, iam7805 has given us a general idea of the technical specs. He and some others are hard at work trying to bring his dream to life. The rest of us are using what we know to come up with a good exterior.

Furthermore, consider this: we are NOT a business! iam7805 is NOT a business(man)! We ARE people who like to do nifty stuff with electronics! We're a bunch of people just trying to have fun here, and we will have fun any which way we choose.

So, please, if you don't want to actually contribute, just don't post anything. If you want to offer constructive criticism about the DEVICE, then feel free to do so, otherwise please respect our desire to enjoy our hobbies as we wish.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun May 21, 2006 6:18 pm

teraflop122 wrote:Some of you need to read into this project's details before spewing out irrelavent details of your own.
Unlike 75% (and that's a true statistical percentage) of the people on the BB team, me, marshall, and Dan actually know what we're talking about.

Also, we're just saying that the team is going about the wrong way by getting people anticipated with the graphical part without having done the hardware.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Sun May 21, 2006 6:28 pm

teraflop122 wrote:Some of you need to read into this project's details before spewing out irrelavent details of your own. This console is a project by iam7805, and he is currently focusing on the hardware and technical details. Most of the rest of us do not have the skill or the time to contribute to the technical part of the project, so we are focusing on what we can help with.

When a business is developing a console, it fleshes out the general specifications of the console, and multiple groups of engineers split off to fulfill certain needs. Well, iam7805 has given us a general idea of the technical specs. He and some others are hard at work trying to bring his dream to life. The rest of us are using what we know to come up with a good exterior.

Furthermore, consider this: we are NOT a business! iam7805 is NOT a business(man)! We ARE people who like to do nifty stuff with electronics! We're a bunch of people just trying to have fun here, and we will have fun any which way we choose.

So, please, if you don't want to actually contribute, just don't post anything. If you want to offer constructive criticism about the DEVICE, then feel free to do so, otherwise please respect our desire to enjoy our hobbies as we wish.
Hmmm, couldn't of said it better myself.
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Fanboy

Post by Fanboy » Mon May 22, 2006 6:15 am

Okay, I've been staring at XPC's design for the controller and, when the time comes, I could make the first prototype, perhaps in a Saturn controller... For now, do you just want me to get some parts and then space 'em on a PCB so I could get the width and stuff?
God Bless Hot Glue

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Mon May 22, 2006 6:40 am

i could give you the schematic for the controller if wanted later :)

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon May 22, 2006 8:07 am

This goes nuts on buttions, but if you want something for like a D-pad or analoge stick would a trackball work? Basicly I just like the idea they have here but we just set it up for use with your left thumb. I doubt the sytem could handle optical tracking so it would be the roller trackball sytem. But that's an idea for that.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Mon May 22, 2006 8:59 am

A rollerball sounds like a great idea, but is it really practical for a SNes-esque type console?

Its been mentioned before but you do kinda need to keep things simple for the time being, although having a track ball istead of an analouge sticks sounds pretty promising

It would kill it if its too sensitive though, thats why i hate the trackball i use for my PC

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Mon May 22, 2006 9:19 am

Final controller details should be released today (soon). I modified XPCs design a little and am waiting for him to approve it.

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon May 22, 2006 11:09 am

Did you guys know that the black box on an airplane isn't actually black, it's orange. Hurray for cereal box trivia. :P

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Mon May 22, 2006 11:35 am

What a coincidence, the second colour of the BlackBox is orange! :o

Oh well, that's cool. :)

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Mon May 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Iam7805 modified my controller because it was too X360-ish, I liked what he did to it but there were some things I didn't like so much, so I modified it, and I think we have a winner. Here it is "possibly" the official blackbox controller, BBcontroller RevII
let me know if it needs any changes.
Last edited by XPCportables on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Mon May 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Yes, that right there is the official BlackBox controller. I'm going to draw up the CAD images and PCB layout sooner or later (unless Fanboy still wants to)

Oh, but BTW, I don't really like the logo you made, so we're still using mine/Triton's.

*$cuba $teve*

Post by *$cuba $teve* » Thu May 25, 2006 12:06 pm

"BlackBox":?: Can I steal cable with this. :wink:
Seriously, I found a site where a guy made his own Game System
Alien Slaughter
Alien Slaughter 2