What you would do...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Thornwillow
What you would do...

Post by Thornwillow » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:51 am

Wouldn't that be cool if you could travel back in time, say 1980 and you can take your Xbox 360 with you and show it off, lol. Think of what the world of gaming today would be if the Xbox 360s graphics were the graphics of 1980.

What would you do if you could travel back in time to change gaming

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:54 am

OMG...I always fantasize that...I mean ALWAYS! I can't believe I found common ground with that thought on someone. I always try and think, to go back, stop the Warner deal...or take my NES and tell Atari to name it: Atari Prodigy and patent it one two three! Or take a PSONE and give it to Nintendo before the SNES/SONY breakup...oohhhh, or me taking a raw copy of Half Life..and make a site called 'valve.com' with the game on it...I'd be the king of games...ohhh.....! :D :wink:
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:56 am

Or in other words: How do you think graphics will be in 2026 if technology got a serious confuzors-screw-over tomarrow?

People, you scare me...
-Luke

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:57 am

Surpisingly, if I had a time machine I'd use it for other purposes than video games.

Maybe.

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:10 pm

What the second poster said. Without atari/warner merger people would not have left atari and then formed activision and earned the right for other companies to publish for the atari and future consoles and so technology could be even more behind.

You'd need to teach them how to use moder low level programming languages and how to make such hard ware that just would not be physically possible to build a machine to make the component back then!

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:11 pm

to be able to reverse engineer the 360 back then would be almost impossible....no, strike that, it'd be impossible for sure. They'd have to figure out how to make 3.2Ghz processors and what not, all from one 360. Then the software, you'd have to be able to reproduce that.

In short, it'd be cool for people back then, but they couldn't reproduce it or improve it, so technology would just continue improving at the same pace (perhaps faster from motivation of seeing the 360, I dunno).

anyway, it would be better to just fantasize about graphics 20 years from now. I predict: photo realistic, or damn close....
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:15 pm

I predict those in 10 maximum.

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:18 pm

Me @ 60: hey kids, how do you play the Xbox 1440...Well Gramps, take your helmet and go into the FPS world...OK *puts helmet on* Cool, I see lindsay lohan without clothing doing a crabwalk backwards....uh, that's my gallery gramps...let me change the game....oooh Doom 9, I remember Doom 3 when ahhhhhhh, I'm dying...Gramps, have fun *later that night*...Sonny, please kill that evil system, the demons are coming out of it :lol:
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:22 pm

sam fisher wrote:I predict those in 10 maximum.
yeah, you're probably right there...

they might be actual 3D, though :) (in 20 years)...some company has actually come up with a way (using powerful lasers) to have 3D dots floating in the air. The lasers are too powerful and could cause eye damage now, but by next year they might have a consumer version, and in 20 years, one capable of doing full game type images ;)...
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Gamelver wrote:
sam fisher wrote:I predict those in 10 maximum.
yeah, you're probably right there...

they might be actual 3D, though :) (in 20 years)...some company has actually come up with a way (using powerful lasers) to have 3D dots floating in the air. The lasers are too powerful and could cause eye damage now, but by next year they might have a consumer version, and in 20 years, one capable of doing full game type images ;)...
I don't doubt that.

But just imagine how we'd feel with our 2D sidescrolling Mario games.

:cry:

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:05 pm

Yeah, taking a 360 to the 80's would make games so much better, because graphics are what makes a game good! :roll:

I was once interviewed by some members from my school for the yearbook Q&A section, and when asked what I'd do if I had the power to travel through time I replied "I'd use it."

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:12 pm

Ahh VR, the stuff of dreams. If it's not like that in 10 years then 20 years later it will be. I mean, in 20 years weve gone from pong to the 360. I swear there are times when i'm playing PGR3 and it looks real. The combanation of lighting, textures and shaders is just amazing compared to two black and white recatangles bouncing a white square inbetween.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:16 pm

But... the world is scheduled to end on December 2012, didn't you get the thousand-year-old memo from the Aztec department?

Zzebotes13

Post by Zzebotes13 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:17 pm

A 3d gaming world would make my lofe complete, my gamming life that is
I will always put 8) at the end of my posts

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:18 pm

If I could travel in time I'd pull a "Back to the future" and travel back a few decades and invest all my money in IBM. Then do it again a few times.
Hey, sup?