S-video vs. RGB

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Super Mulletman
S-video vs. RGB

Post by Super Mulletman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:08 am

I am not going to make this into a poll (although it's fine if anyone else does) because it's really more of a question. I know S-video works by sending the chromanecence and lumanecence (I know I probably mispelled that horribly) and I believe that component, or RGB, as you guys call it, works by sending each main color signal seperate, and that's all fine and dandy, but I don't know the picture difference is. Does anyone have a picture comparison between the two, and composite and RF? I am certain that RGB is better, and am very intrigued by Gamecube's progressive scan mode, but I have niether the proper cable nor the appropriate tv, so I can't test it.

stereth

Post by stereth » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:47 pm

RGB looks awesome on a decent TV. I had my PS2 running to a flatscreen 20" TV by S-video last year until I bought an RGB cable. S-video is nice, much better than composite, but RGB is about as close to a computer monitor as that TV is ever going to get.

Also, it's harder to misspell the words if you use "chroma" and "luma."

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:51 pm

Cool. Actually, I have been thinking about getting a VGA-to-RGB, S-video, composite, and maybe even RF converter, as well as one of those Nintendo component cables for the GC. Nothing beats ultra-high quality games on a moniter you already own.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:00 pm

Oh, one more thing. I wanted to make an RBG adapter for the SNES and N64, but I don't know what the composite does or where it goes. All I know is that it's needed in there somewhere. Thanks.

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:01 pm

You'll need to strip the sync out of the composite line for the n64. The snes already outputs rgb if I remember right, but the n64 needs to be modded to do so.

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:44 pm

But what is sync, and where does in tie in to RGB?

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:06 pm

ok i got a site that shows all the pins for the nintendo video cables...
http://www27.brinkster.com/ninja13/n64/4.htm

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:47 pm

The problem is that RGB on tvs (like fron the GCN is different than RGB on monitors, like some want to do. Using RGB on a VGA monitor will likely ruin your monitor
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:03 am

Using standard rgb on a vga monitor simply won't work. You need to either put it through a scan doubling circuit, or buy a rgb-vga converter.

NiN^_^NiN

Post by NiN^_^NiN » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:53 am

ok i got a site that shows all the pins for the nintendo video cables...
http://www27.brinkster.com/ninja13/n64/4.htm
Yeah my site is ok but www.gamesx.com explains it better :)

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:19 am

Thanks NiN^_^NiN (and everyone, too), the gamesx link really helps. Hopefully this can lead closer to the perfection of my own little video game world. And BTW, I was going to get an RGB, composite, etc. converter so I wouldn't damage the moniter. I actually got a pretty good sized moniter recently, but I don't know if it's color :?

Super Mulletman

Post by Super Mulletman » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:54 am

Okay, I thouroughly read the site stuff, but it doesn't say where sync fits in to RGB(does it act like a ground?) and it also said that RGB is NOT the same as component. Apparently, component is only in certain modern tv's, while RGB is in most LCD screens and in many older moniters. Where does sync go and where could I find a non-LCD RGB moniter (Radioshack? BestBuy?)? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never even played a game using S-video(I was deprived as a child) :cry:

gannon

Post by gannon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:01 pm

NEC makes some nice rgb television sets. If I remember right I saw a 27" one on ebay recently for around $100. RGB monitors or televisions also have a composite sync plug.
Here is the page on gamesx that talks about composite sync and the circuit to get it.

VGA monitors need H sync, V sync, and an upscanned rgb signal.