How did you get into electronic engineering

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:45 pm

I havn't tried to portablize anything yet, but I switched my NES to Japanese only during a region mod, one of the pins on the chip broke off completely :evil:

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:50 pm

My only dead system is a NES that I got for free, along with 2 working ones :D :twisted:
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Dom Dunc

Post by Dom Dunc » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:16 pm

I did two years of electronics at school, giving me pretty much all the knowledge needed for console modifications. During that time I built a motion alarm, and custom designed and etched a PCB for a digital thermometer (complete with 7 segment display) which I then built. Compared to stuff like that portablization is fairly easy, the only one I've done is a portable Atari 2600 (using those new 10-in-1 things) and I haven't fried anything.

EDIT: I tell a lie, I wired up a PIC wrong in my thermometer and melted it to the breadboard I was using. That'e the only thing I ever fried.
http://www.systemcrash.tk - Video game glitches

Geebs61

Prod this...

Post by Geebs61 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:38 pm

I took one elecrtonics class in high school. I Made 2 leds blink, and an arrow made out of leds. Mostly I just played with the power supplies, attached them to a case fan and crank it up to 15 volts. Made one of them completely disentegrate. I mostly learned the basics there, after that I tought myself everything else by poking things with a soldering iron until I had something that worked. Trial and error. but mostly error. I fried 2 NES's and a PSOne LCD. Not to mention grabbing the soldering iron by the hot part, and dropping hot solder on my leg, unfortunatly I was wearing shorts and it hit the unclothed part of my leg. Other thatn that I have had very good success in finishing my... wait, I haven't finished anything yet.

Crap...
"Being a teenager is to experience a renaissance of the body, mind and spirit. It is to experience life at it’s fullest." - Cliff Eiffler

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:56 pm

I've gone to a couple electronic classes, just to learn the basics. I reccomend taking a few if possible. I Also read everything on all the sites out there, it really helps. But I learned most of it by experience.
So far I've broken:

2 N64's. Donno how I broke the first one...probably the converter. The second one I touched 12v to it somewhere and it started smoked. But I learned something each time. Almost everybody has fried a 64 that was trying to make it portable.

Almost broke my PS1, I was able to fix it by shorting out the fuse on it. No idea how the fuse got busted in the first place.

1 Genesis. I didn't realize that the plug polarity was reversed (outside was positive) and I connected 7.2v to ground.

I also fried $20 worth of LED's trying to do an LED mod to an Interact PS1 screen. Which I still need to finish...

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:57 pm

I've learned most everything I know here :lol:
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.