Building a Genesis portable VS. Buying a Nomad

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Link89
Building a Genesis portable VS. Buying a Nomad

Post by Link89 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:36 pm

What do you guys think is better buying a Nomad or building a Genesis portable.

gamer2

build a portable

Post by gamer2 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:00 am

I think it would be better to just build a Genesis portable rather than buying the nomad, becouse the nomad eats to much power and with building one you can lower power comsumtion by a lot. Just buying the Nomad would be to lazy.

new nomad screen

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:56 pm

I just got a nomad recently it's really great for use at work. I was wondering about the possibility of replacing the display in the nomad though. It is terribly blurry when theres a lot of motion on the screen. would it be possible to put a new type of more up to date display in the nomad casing?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:01 am

For the most part that may be what eats a lot of the power the cheap lcd. Replacing it shouldnt be very hard as they say its analoge and more like the pocket tvs. Trying to make the genesis portable is going to be tough I have a version 2 myself and have no easy way to cut the board down, it would be easier to just get the Nomad and use that, mod it even becuase if you use the v3 board it lacks a specific chip that prevents use of game genie and other things.

Now as far as this thread is conserned, please post it in the approperate fourms next time. This one belongs in the 16bit/SNES fourm.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

The Zydeco King

Post by The Zydeco King » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:57 am

What eats the power for the Nomad is the Light inside of the Nomad. If you replace it with some white LEDs then you will increase the battery life greatly. So I've hered. I have two Nomads and I've been wanting to do the LED mod for quite some time now. I'm just not sure how to determin where to get the power from for the LEDs.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:37 am

Sparkfist wrote:This one belongs in the 16bit/SNES fourm.
The SNES forum says nothing about any other 16-bit systems.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:51 am

any suggestions on what would make a good replacement screen for the nomad?

Link89

Post by Link89 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:14 am

There should be a lot more forums on here, like for the Sega Saturn, Genesis, and CD. I was thinking about that but I wasn't talking all about the technical part. I was trying to see what people would rather do.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:47 am

First if you want to replace the screen take the Nomad apart and see how it sends the signal (i.e. RGB or composite) from there you should be able to determan what screen you need, but for the most part a pocket tv should do nicely. But I'm not 100% positive on the compatablity.

Secondly the fourms are set up in the fastion of whats most popular, isnt a postable already (i.e. the Nomad) and it says what bit system(s) they are. Now you can say well there isnt a Saturn fourm and post here but its a 32bit system screw it put it in the playstation one. They fit the same area. Dont crowd the general talk fourm with threads that have places that they can go and will raise far less complaining.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:48 pm

The nomad screen is rgb. Kevin Horton used the screen and a chroma decoder in his portendo.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:02 pm

would an lcd like this be a suitable replacement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 15105&rd=1

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:19 pm

I'm not sure what the nomad's voltage is so I can't be sure, but with that lcd I think that you'd either need a chroma encoder, or open it up and find where the internal rgb line are and solder directly to them.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:30 pm

general nomad info here, gotta see if i can find some more
http://www.vidgame.net/SEGA/NOMAD.html

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:40 pm

Also where can one find info about chroma encoding chips?

The Zydeco King

Post by The Zydeco King » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:07 pm

Ok, the Nomad info site says that the AC power plug out puts
10V DC with 0.85Amps

Now I'm wondering if I can power my Nomad with this?
which is 9.6V with 1000mAh

How many Amps would 1000mAh be?