Xbox portable is now done (updated 6/8/06)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

dkap01
Xbox portable is now done (updated 6/8/06)

Post by dkap01 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:42 am

Well if you read the boards here theres a lot of ideas going around. Like a xbox in a backpack and so on. But I think I might have a idea of how to make one. So far I've ordered to parts for the power supply and Im making the case as we speak.
Most of you know me and know that this istn't one of those post claiming to have made one. Im just saying Im going to give it my best shot and hope for the best. Just remember the Dreamcast and how hard that was. Everyone thought it would never be done.

What I have so far :

ordered the parts for the power supply
Started making the case (what color should I paint it?)
Looking into some batteries
I know for sure it will run off ac power
Going to use laptop hard drive
I dont think it will have a CD player (it uses too much power)
It will have a mod chip in it (for the hard drive and run the new dash board)
I want to keep the video out and the RJ45 plug
Memory card slot
and whatever I can think of.....

Just keep your fingers crossed and I'll give updates as I go along...

Price of this project around $500, but able to take Master Chief with you....priceless

Dave
Last edited by dkap01 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:04 am

Sweet! 'Bout time the XboXP became more than just an idea.

Oh, and paint the case green and black (what else would you paint it?).
Dr. Gregory House wrote:Good lord, are you having a bowel movement or a baby?

G-force

Post by G-force » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:12 am

Wow, an actual Xbox attempt! I wish you the best of luck with your venture. If it ends up working, I'm betting you end up famous. Can't wait to see how you do it. Please keep us updated on how it goes if you can.

can I ask, what are you planning on using for the power supply? I know you used a GC power supply on your DCp (s), but I imagine that wouldn't work for an Xbox.

Thats a good idea, dumping the DVD drive. But how would you upload the games to the HDD with no DVD drive connected to it?

Color? Hmm... A dark silver and green. It would help it stand out from the normal Xbox case that I think lacks imagination.

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:15 am

Depending on the dashboard\modchip he's going to install, he can FTP the games onto the HDD.
Dr. Gregory House wrote:Good lord, are you having a bowel movement or a baby?

Zzebotes13

Post by Zzebotes13 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:36 am

after looking at your cases, i'm sure you'll be able to mke this XBp amazing. hope to see it soon :lol:
I will always put 8) at the end of my posts

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:11 am

So is this going to be a handheld, clamshell or just a screen sitting on top of the system, style? Oh and beside the standard modding to make it fit, you going to add a modchip?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Xiro

Post by Xiro » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:19 am

if you need any help just PM me or AIM me. I have a slimbox with a 2.5 laptop HDD and an x3. It is exactly at 2" because i didnt take any of the bottom because i have blue underglow. Also, i have wiring guides for the PS1 LCD assuming that is what you are using.

best of luck on this venture!

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:56 pm

Boo-FRICKIN'-YA! It's about time someone attempts this. I'll try to help however I can... if you need help. I don't have an X-Box, but I know a lot about electronics. I could help you build a custom PSU to make it run off batteries... probably... Anyway, I have three ideas for you:

1. Try for built-in Wi-Fi. You can get a relatively small Ethernet to Wifi adapter for a decent price these days. Gut it, and wire it up inside the case.

2. Laptop DVD drive.

3. Use 22,000 mAh D NIMH batteries. That should do the trick for power. :wink: They do exsist, but they're hard to find. I found one on some site a few weeks ago... can't seem to find it now, but I'll look again later. You could also get 12,000 mAh batteries. They're much more common... and cheaper.
Last edited by Electric Rain on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

that's awsome. if you want to keep it compact as possible but want 9000mah, here's a good battery. it's a bit expensive though...
EDIT:
even better battery
Last edited by daguuy on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Ghost2520

Post by Ghost2520 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:24 pm

I'd say stick with green and black, the standard xbox colors. (They also happen to be my favorite colors) Anyone else think it would be SWEET to have black/green zebra striping?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:11 pm

Throw white in, after all they did have white in some areas. And if you are doing a clamshell design, use the original jewel from the Xbox.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

Ghost2520

Post by Ghost2520 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Sparkfist wrote:Throw white in, after all they did have white in some areas. And if you are doing a clamshell design, use the original jewel from the Xbox.
Where the heck did they have white in the original xbox? I think your thinking of the 360... not the original...

But yah, definitely put the jewel on there. If its going to have a folding screen, but the jewel on the back side of the screen. If it doesn't have a folding screen, put the jewel on the back kind of like how the PSP has its logo.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:02 pm

Fine I was talking about the Platium game releases, but hey they also had special cases released. I know they had a light colored one, if it wasn't white.

I am a geek.

Ghost2520

Post by Ghost2520 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:07 pm

Sparkfist wrote:Fine I was talking about the Platium game releases, but hey they also had special cases released. I know they had a light colored one, if it wasn't white.
Yah I know what your talking about now, the Platinum Hit series. Meh, I just personally think it would look cooler to stick with the original colors since platinum cases didn't come out until a year or so afer launch.

dkap01

Post by dkap01 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:08 pm

In japan they had the white panzer dragon one, it was all white...