Public domain my ass...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Lucretius
Public domain my ass...

Post by Lucretius » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:07 pm

In case none of you have been following this nasty little tale, let me tell you a story...

There once was a devil-child named Eric Baum. He was a d*uche. Seriously. He made this little self titled website devoted to stealing all the clever and witty multimedia he could find on the internet, claiming it was all "public domain". He pilfered, piliaged and even made fun of Mister Rogers. Despite the best efforts of eveyone he hurt, he remained untouched due to his crack squad of lawyers he could afford with the money he made from stealing.

What can you do? Apparently, not a damn thing...
-Luke

SpongeBuell

Re: Public domain my ass...

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:08 pm

Lucretius wrote:What can you do? Apparently, not a damn thing...
Well, I suppose there is always hacking in protest :P
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Meh, it says in the article, not even THAT worked...
-Luke

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Ha, a forum I go to ddos'd ebaums along with a bunch of others. Though the moron really did make a mistake by stealing of ytmnd.com...
May I suggest...
http://www.ebaumsworldsucks.com/

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:20 pm

Yeah I've been reading it for a while now. eBaum has no right stealing other peoples' media.

Which is why in my (eventually) coming Flahs I will build in a safeguard in the ActionScript so I can tell it to spaz out the server if it isn't on either my website or Newgrounds. Even more so if it's on media.ebaumsworld.com. :twisted:

The "Something Awful" part DEFINITELY gives somethingawful.com legal grounds against eBaumsworld, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web_War_I

EDIT: O.M.F.G.
Wikipedia wrote:The URLs http://www.somethingawful.com/, http://www.fark.com/, http://www.somaforum.com, http://www.newgrounds.com, and http://www.albinoblacksheep.com are censored from the ebaumsworld.com forum. In light of recent events, http://www.ytmnd.com/ has also been censored.
Last edited by bicostp on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:24 pm

This is certainly an interesting case.

To ebaumsworld....

HAPPY McDEATHDAY!!!

*o*

Post by *o* » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:37 pm

ooppppsss
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:39 pm

Yikes!I hope he never finds the comics website me and some friends made. :shock: Ah,he wouldn't make much cash from Zitman and Lord of the Sissys anyway. :P
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:45 pm

Heard about it for a while. Sounds like they've made quite a few enemys.
Y'know, it's just not as funny when you know it's stolen... (I only went there a few times anyways. Didn't see anything all that great.)

sam

Re: Public domain my ass...

Post by sam » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:40 pm

Lucretius wrote:In case none of you have been following this nasty little tale, let me tell you a story...

There once was a devil-child named Eric Baum. He was a d*uche. Seriously. He made this little self titled website devoted to stealing all the clever and witty multimedia he could find on the internet, claiming it was all "public domain". He pilfered, piliaged and even made fun of Mister Rogers. Despite the best efforts of eveyone he hurt, he remained untouched due to his crack squad of lawyers he could afford with the money he made from stealing.

What can you do? Apparently, not a damn thing...
First off, yeah you can... I won't get into it though because it may be illigal. Second of all, people are standing up to him now. I know it will suck for authers of work to have to register / copyright there work, but thats the price you pay.
I'm the man, if you don't think so, you're wrong.
sniper_spike wrote:That sucks, bro's before ho's anyway man.

llama_master

Post by llama_master » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:55 pm

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm i say internet "assasination" is our best bet. viva la revolucion
Last edited by llama_master on Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")This is Bunny. Copy and past bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:56 pm

In the U.S. at least you don't have to register your work for it to be copyrighted IIRC.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 am

I never knew all of this. Man, what a buttmunch.

Wayne Venomous

Post by Wayne Venomous » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:43 am

Sounds very similar (although not quite on such a large scale!) to an incident from my old website, The British Baja Bug Garage. I had a page on building your own electronic ignition which was basically an upgrade - a huge transistor did the high current switching instead of the contract breaker points, not a particularly difficult circuit and one that's been out for years.

However, someone with a Honda Coupe S website decided to copy the entire page and replace the words "VW Bug" with "Honda Coupe S". The cheeky sod had even hotlinked the photographs from my website instead of hosting them himself! So what did I do? Keep changing the photos of course! First time it said "This artical was stolen from the British Baja Bug Garage. Hondas suck anyway!" Second time it said "Hey look, Honda copying off an European car! So what else is new?"

After that I started posting random photos, including one of me "mooning" through the windsheild of my VW Bug! Cool thing was, because of the time difference between England and America, all this went on when he would've been asleep and everything was always returned back to normal at the start of the day in America! :D

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:51 am

Well there is one thing you can do to piss the guy off; DOS his sorry excuse for a site. Really if this guy makes money off people getting to his site, you stop people from getting there then. Yeah I know DOS attacks are illegal but hey that didn't stop the *cough*open-source*cough* community form taking down sco.com and microsoft.com for about 5 days.

I'm really suprised that he could take other people's flash animations anyways. Don't people put they're names or they're workgroups at the end to show who the creator/owner is?

And Wayne, that's kind of funny.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.