LED mod trouble...

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
LED mod trouble...

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:51 pm

Well I did it!!! I did something without it dying...yet...

THe trouble is...well...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4263/untitled2je.jpg -linked by nos_slived due to oversized image

This is a verge PS2 screen, although the innards are exactly the same.

I used a 27 ohm resistor. Is this too high? Also I used 4 LED's but I wouldnt't think that would be a problem.

I tried to bridge CV23 but it doesn't look like it did anything. I'm pretty sure that it's properly bridged, I did it 3 times.[/img]
Last edited by Kurt_ on Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, sup?

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:26 pm

wait, so the LED mod isn't working? what are the specs on the LEDs and how did you wire them?
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:34 pm

The LED's are fine...hold up, a video upload isn't working so I'll take some pictures instead. The best way to describe it is....

Random skittering of ....? the stuff in the picture. A video would help a lot.

Me and Tim just tried turning the volume off. It fixes the problem, but the brightness goes down a LOT (and yes I'm sure I'm not turning down the volume) The problem stops when the volume's about halfway down.
Hey, sup?

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:53 pm

The screen flickers? or just the LEDs? When my PSOne screen had the volume up to high it would interfear with the screen and cause it to flicker, turning it fown to 50%-70% stoped the problem.

The LEDs should be getting all the power they need, the backlight takes up 10x the power of the LEDs (thats why the LED mod works) so they should be getting all the power they need.

I'm betting on sound interference.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:54 pm

The LED's are fine. But this happened during the mod. How would I stop the sound interference?
Hey, sup?

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:59 pm

As far as im concerned it's the magnets in the speakers and they cause the LCD to be affected. The same thing happens when you put a speaker too close and too loud next to a CRT monitor. You will see the screen flicket to the sound and the colors will change. The same basic thing is happening with the PS2 screen I think.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:49 pm

Well...I extended the speaker wires about 3 inches and moved them around a LOT. I mean EVERYWHERE!!!

No difference at all. So I'd say that's ruled out.

However, the main screen on syphon filter works fine...but when it fades to go to a demo, the screen goes...um...the colours reverse...like in photoshop. I don't quite know how to explain it, so i'll take some pictures...

But with the volume on I get the flickering...
Hey, sup?

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:16 pm

Is it possible the LCD is chipped? What could be causing this problem?

If the LCD WAS chipped, would it just stop working?

Oh, and I tried jumping the fuse in a desperate attempt to solve my problem...surprise surprise...NOTHING!!! (Who EVER could have predicted that?)
Hey, sup?

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:28 pm

hmmm, now that is weird, i'm afraid this is beyond my skills. Could be the screen is a dud, could be a bad color pot, I have no idea.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:05 pm

segasonicfan had a sound interference problem or something like that that involved the audio amp and fixed it. i'll see if i can find the thread...
ImageImage

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:42 am

http://www.benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8195

There's the thread that daguuy meant.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:51 am

Well that looks a bit too complicated for me...if somebody could give me a step-by-step on how to do that I will love you forever.

And by the way Nos:

The picture wasn't oversized for a 20-something inch monitor. Get a bigger one! :P

EDIT: Apparently (I sure hope I've been spelling that right) this problem only occurs on certain systems. I've been testing it with a PS1, cuz that's the only hookup I have. Would this problem still occur on a mini SNES? Could somebody check or something?
Hey, sup?

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:52 pm

Hey Kurt,
Your problem here is a bit different than the one I explained in my thread. I never had inverting colors. The inverting colors does not apply to any system, only the audio prob (mis-sync when bass hits).

It's hard for me to help without looking at the PCB, but I would say double check your audio lines. If the colors are corrected when the audios on it's probably either a bad audio connection or (more likely) a problem with your regs. Like I said though, hard to really help without looking at it all first hand.

Good luck,

-Segasonicfan

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:34 pm

But the thing is...I didn't even fully remove it from it's original case yet. And the problem is still there even when the LED lines are disconnected. I'll check for loose solder...that's the only thing I could possibly think of.

EDIT:

Not only does it invert the colours when the volume is low, it does it when you disconnect the headphone jack (which shuts off all the audio, I believe). I checked for loose solder and got rid of what little bit there was around the +5 volts for the LED's (according to the book) that connects the capacitor and the regulator. I then resoldered it, careful not to touch anything else remotely circuit board, let alone conductive.

It is definitely something wrong with the audio. And since it effects (affects?) the video, I would assume a power problem.

I found this site on the subject, but don't know exactly what they're telling me to do:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-62480.html
Hey, sup?

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:04 pm

Can somebody PLEASE tell me why it quotes me in a new post when I edit a post. It's happened a bunch lately.

To sum this problem up plain and simple:

With loud volume, the picture is crystal clear.

With lower/no volume/no audio connected, the picture experiences inverted colours. With the lower volume the picture inverts in horizontal sections of the screen, in sync to the music. (Like a music video
Hey, sup?