NES/N64 portable, actually getting somewhere now!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

G-force
NES/N64 portable, actually getting somewhere now!

Post by G-force » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:42 pm

[what happened to my last N64P]
So my last N64 project didn't turn out so well...I completley finished it, except for a small amount of wiring. Problems are:

1) I can't get any sound from the N64. Even when hooked up to a normal TV. I assume that this is because I chopped off the board in some places adn rewired the traces, and somehow that messed it up. Or maybe I fried the sound proccesor chip... I have no idea, I know it dosn't work though. (any ideas?)

2) The screen has weird static-y sounds cmong from the speakers, even when no audio wires are connected to it. Video is blurry on it too. very odd, since it all worked fine before I chopped up the N64...

3) In some small spots, the paint is actually CORRODING! :shock: I had no idea it was even possible for fresh paint to corrode! It might have somehing to do with being really close to the wood stove though. Maybe it has somehting to do with some of the ash ash floating in the air and getting on the paint. I have no clue, it's just weird.

'Tis Quite a shame. It was looking pretty good! I might still finish it later if I get another N64. Not likely though, since while I was working on this I realized that it NEEDS a bigger screen. 2.3" just don't cut it.
[/what happened to my last N64P]

So what can I do, but try, try again. Enter the Portable Nintendo 64 Plus. A N64P w/5" screen and a NOAC that plays NES carts. Cool eh? If I added a SNES it would be like a portable Tristar 64.

Rough bondo putty and sanding process still taking place. It will look a lot better once smooth sanded, and painted.

Speaking of paint, I was thinking of a nice shade of purple for the front and satin black for the back. Sound good? Any other ideas?

See that second rectangular hole above the N64 cartridge slot. That is gonna be a NES cartridge slot. I figured, "hey, there's a lot if extra room in this case. I might as well shove a NOAC or an MP3 player in here." MP3 players are too costly though, and I already had an NOAC. gannon was nice enough to sell me a NES connector.
I still need to fill the holes with bondo marine epoxy putty, among other stuff.

I plan to have it done by Christmas, as a gift to myself. :P (Selfish person that I am). It will likely take much longer.
EDIT: well, I missed that date by a longshot!

(Did have more pics, but troubles uploading with imageshack are making me post this with fewer pics)
Last edited by G-force on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:47 pm

cool beans :D does photobucket or something other than imageshack work for you?
ImageImage

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:42 pm

Hey yeah, photobucket might work. I forgot about it.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:35 pm

*whistles* very nice G-force! :)

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:32 am

The weird noise might be coming from a broken capacitor connected to a transistor, i.ow. a broken amplifier.

Weebl

Post by Weebl » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:50 am

Looking very good, G-force. I like the idea of putting a NOAC in with it, it'll be interesting to see the final product. Good luck! Oh, and sorry to hear about your other N64p. Sounds like the portable of doom, alright.
Women are like internet domain names; all the ones I like are taken
Check out my shameless abuse of free blogging here

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 pm

I kinda forgot about this thread :oops: ... ha ha

Anyways, by now a lot of people have already seen the newest progress pic in another thread(and I'm afraid I made the thread go off topic for a bit, sorry!). But I thought I might as well repost them in the right place so everybody can see it.

It started with the initial dremel, super glue, bondo, sanding stuff.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/ ... PIC005.jpg
Then the primer went on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/ ... CT0003.jpg
Then the paint. Shiny red on the front, and flat black on the back.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/ ... CT0009.jpg
And we are now caught up to the present. Next its assembling and wiring (wish me luck on the wiring, there's a crapload of it). Considering what I am using for a case it seems to be working pretty good.

BTW, I got photobucket working, but I had to use Internet Explorer instead of Fire Fox :? Odd... And also, tinypic and imageshack wouldn't work in either no matter what! I think it's evil garden gnomes...
Last edited by G-force on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:49 pm

lookin good 8) . i was gonna put a NOAC or something in mine but the batteries are too big :P . d-pad looks a bit low but it probably doesn't matter cause you don't need it much anyway
ImageImage

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:00 am

Hmmm, that looks really well-done! I really like the way the red paint set on there.

JeffMan

Post by JeffMan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:12 pm

Sweet jesus, that thing is sexy

G-force

Post by G-force » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:31 am

Thank yew, thank yew for the good comments, I appreciate them very much! :)
yup...It's gonna look real nice next to my red DS (when I get it.)

So I spent a half hour today clearing all the crap off my soldering/work station (the top of my dresser and part of my desk). There was stickers from my NES p0cket in the tin can I use for junk :shock: Has it been that long since I cleaned?!

gamefreak11
Portablizer

Post by gamefreak11 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:38 pm

That looks awesome! Good luck! :)

daleighan

Post by daleighan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:32 pm

That case is really awesome!

Fanboy

Post by Fanboy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:09 pm

Sorry if it seems rude, or annoying that I'm bringing up a moderately old post, but did you do anything else with N64p? I tried to build one a while back, under the guest name "Nintendo" but I fried the thing in 6 different places :oops: Im such a n00berl00ser
God Bless Hot Glue

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:08 pm

ah, don't worry about it ;). we were all new once...

oh, and I've just cleaned my workspace, too, G-force :P. I filled up three garbage bags with old cases and junk :P....now I've properly organized all my old mobos and controller boards (most of which are probably broken, but I may try to fix them one day ;).
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!