ASVAB

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:29 pm

All I was told was that I maxed out the test.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:20 pm

I've taken the test. I aced mine too, smarter than 99% of the people that take the test. :)

Signing up for the ASVAB won't get you drafted. You will be harrassed by recruiters if you score well though, unless you're Cennar :) (it's the weed, man) When you turn 18 in the US you have to sign up for "selective service" which let's you apply for government jobs, college loans, etc as well as be entered into the database if we ever need to draft.

You can take the test at school (get out of a couple classes) or visit the friendly recruiter to take the test.

It was funny when I came back in a couple years ago, I was talking to some kid which had taken the test 4 times to get the minimum of 32% he needed to go into the Army. There are only 4 answers to each each question, statistically a monkey could score a 25%.
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:10 pm

I'm not planning on joining the army or anything, but what is the test like, exactly? I may want to take the test for the fun of it, especially if they don't charge anything to do it (I already know where the local recruiter is, and it's not too far away)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:13 pm

psychotic_mechanic wrote:I've taken the test. I aced mine too, smarter than 99% of the people that take the test. :)
Why is it that I don't believe the idea that you got 100%.

As for me... I took the full test at the center they have in Michigan. My score was something like 84. Funny thing about it is that the recruiter (Navy) said I could get into the Nuclear power field. I just laugh at that every time I think of it, really people that know me know better then to trust me around an unstable element.

Unfortuently... I guess that depends on your point of view... But anyways I kind of get shot down. As a result of my past I couldn't get in unless I ended up paying like $150 for a test. And well I never did that.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

MilkMonster

Post by MilkMonster » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Radon199 wrote:As far as I know the only way to legaly escape a draft is to be attending college or have started full time work. That or sneaking in to Canada, but thats the illigal part.
But they got rid of the draft after Nam' so dont worry, be happy.

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Sparkfist wrote:
psychotic_mechanic wrote:I've taken the test. I aced mine too, smarter than 99% of the people that take the test. :)
I'll cut-n-paste from NKO (Navy Knowledge Online) in a few minutes. Don't let my spelling fool you, I'm actually supposed to be smart. :)

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:05 pm

Sparkfist wrote:
I don't think it's that unlikely. I took the test and scored in the top 99th percentile is every area except for automotive/woodworking. The test is a joke, I do not recommend anyone take it, unless they are planning on enlisting. Waste of three hours of my life.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

anubis

Post by anubis » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:12 pm

from someone studying to be a teacher. be wary of interpreting the results of the asvab test. it is designed specifically study compatibility in the army. DO NOT TRY TO APPLY IT TO ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF THE ARMY. it does not measure intelligence or aptitude and schools that give it to students are doing them a great diservice.
A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do... with a gun rack?

anubis

Post by anubis » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:13 pm

from someone studying to be a teacher. be wary of interpreting the results of the asvab test. it is designed specifically study compatibility in the army. DO NOT TRY TO APPLY IT TO ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF THE ARMY. it does not measure intelligence or aptitude and schools that give it to students are doing them a great diservice.
A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do... with a gun rack?

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:14 pm

ASVAB/BTB Scores

Name: HM2 EDWARDS VINCENT ROLLIN Test ID: 22B Date Recorded: 12/05/2001

Armed Forces Qual Test: 99 Nuclear Field Qual Test: N/A Radio Code Aptitude: N/A
Sonar Pitch Memory: 0 Defense Language Apptitude: N/A CI MCN: N/A
CI ADM: N/A CI ELE: N/A CI COM: N/A

ASVAB Series 8-22
General Science: 66
Arith Reasoning: 66
Word Knowledge: 61
Paragraph Comp: 62
Numerical Ops: 60
Coding Speed: N/A
Auto Shop Info: 66
Math Knowledge: 64
Mechanical Comp: 70
Electronics Info: 66
Verbal: 62

MM007

Post by MM007 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:27 pm

I enlisted in Selective Service under the impression that I was legally required to do so. I am also legally required to tell them where I live if I move.

I am my father's only son and the only (surviving) child of my parents, and in college.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

rawls

Post by rawls » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:05 am

A long time ago, in a city far, far away, I too took the ASVAB. It was a good excuse to get out of a half a day of classes. I think I did pretty well, but to be honest, I didn't really care about how I did.

What I got in return was about 3 years of harrassment from recruiters from the various branches of our beloved armed forces. This continued well into my college years (I would get call from my mom telling me the recruiters called again). The only way I got it to stop was to tell one of them I was gay. This sounds silly, but it works.

I am past draftable age now, but I still reserve the right to consider myself on the down low, just in case.