The Game Boy's Last Stand...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Lucretius
The Game Boy's Last Stand...

Post by Lucretius » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:36 pm

-Luke

x24

Post by x24 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:40 pm

woah ageness.. thats 6 months old..

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Well, The DS is Kicking ass in Japan, against the PSP, The GBA is about ready to be successed by a new gameboy, i dont think those people researched the issue.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:43 pm

Interesting.

I always looked at the Gameboy Advanced as a faster, more colorful way to play Pokémon.

The article is right, the Gameboy is dying, and no one is letting it pass away. The DS vs. PSP is obvious. I would only say DS is better than the PSP because of it's screen capabilites and I am for Nintendo.

It's obvious that the PSP is better: faster, cleaner, more media packed, and better graphic-wise. All the DS has is innovation.

Nice find, Luc.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:43 pm

x24 wrote:woah ageness.. thats 6 months old..
Who cares? It's still a good read, and I'd like to see what people think....except you...

Thanks Sky, I'm interested to see when and how N's gonna let the GBA-SP-M die....
Last edited by Lucretius on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Luke

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:44 pm

If you look at the numbers PSP is folding against the DS and GBA, history is reapeating it self.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:49 pm

Gamer2's right, Nintendo is just using backwards compatibility as an advantage, it's clear to see it's not working as well as they wanted.

Backwards playability is great, but to fall back on it as support is unfathomable.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:55 pm

totally agree, but its only going to get better from here :)

I guess portables are the way to go!
Making XNA Games in C#.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:00 pm

Ok, I'm going to give you all my video game history speech

Almost every single console/system war that has been waged, the victor was always the cheaper, less capable, inferior machine. Here are some examples:

Pong vs Odyssey > Pong won
NES vs SMS > NES
SNES vs Genesis > Genesis
N64 vs Playstation > Playstation
PS2 vs GCN vs XBOX > PS2

The seemingly inferior systems had one thing in common: better games. (Your tastes may vary but the masses tell the truth.)

Who gives excrement what the graphics are like? As for me, I'd take the DS over the PSP anyday, and that's for one reason: the DS is made to be fun.

What was Sony thinking when they made the PSP? "Let's make something that can play expensive movies, rehashed games, and make it push tons of polygons."
But Nintendo, with Shigerru Miyamoto, was planning "Let's make a portable game system that does ONE thing - play games."
And in that I think they are succeeding very well.

Have you noticed the miserable quality of games in the last two years? People are actually now realizing that new copy of, say, Madden 2006 isn't really worth the $40 for the same old gameplay, without anything new. They aren't wasting any of their money on the PSP, really.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has a huge advantage on their side - innovation. Fun games. Games that actually are actually engaging, without cheating by means of scantily clad women or 'realistic' graphics.

So maybe I did go off rambling but at least you learned something. I am not a Nintendo fanboy, but time and time again they are pushing the envelope, not copying other's ideas *cough*Sony*cough*.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:06 pm

The DS is selling hand over foot. The PSP is amazing and can give you more expensive excrememnt that you can handle. I love my DS and SP and my Color, Pocket, and my GBO.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:08 pm

I lost interest in the article when they tried to compare the dieing GBA to the newborn PSP, they're of two different generations, and thus shouldn't be groups together, and I think its false to say one of better than the other.

Weebl

Post by Weebl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:16 pm

As soundwave said, the GBA hardware is 5 years old. When competing with a top of the line new PSP, of course sales are going to be much different. Still, the GBA manages to sell 1/3 of the PSP's sold weekly in Japan.

Sure, the recent games for the GBA have been less than stellar, but its still selling, meaning Nintendo is still profiting from it. I expect a new Gameboy in the next few years, though. The GBA will sometime come to an end due to the popularity of the DS and PSP.
Women are like internet domain names; all the ones I like are taken
Check out my shameless abuse of free blogging here

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:49 am

Almost every single console/system war that has been waged, the victor was always the cheaper, less capable, inferior machine.
That could be interpretted in any number of ways, considering that none of the systems you listed are actually considered failures. One could easily interpret the console wars like this:

NES vs SMS> stalemate (favor: NES)
SNES vs Genesis> stalemate (favor: neither)
Playstation vs Saturn> Playstation
Plastation vs N64> stalemate (favor: playstation)
Dreamcast vs PS2> PS2
PS2 vs GCN vs XBOX> stalemate (favor: neither)

Whether a system survives or remains competitive depends on a wide variety of factors, such as financial backing, advertising, and the condition of the economy. When the Gameboy was released by a company that was loved by all, of course it would outsell a portable released by a lesser known, somewhat obscure company. We must also remember that the less powerful machines are also often less expensive. You cannot trust a parent to understand that higher price = better quality, so they end up buying the cheaper system for their kids. That system shows as doing well, and its high sales attract the people responsible for good games.

I lost interest in the article when I saw the ad for Play-Yan. Does anyone know if that peripheral is compatable with the Micro?

GamingRev

DS, better games!

Post by GamingRev » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:25 am

The DS has better games? Have you seen so much as the inferior 20 pixels that make up the new Star Wars game?! The DS graphics I can safely say are horrible, it looks like something from my sega genesis (which I like, but would expect better in '05). The only good thing I see in the DS is the Mario Cart wifi. But besides that the controlls are bad (no REALLY BAD), the graphics..., the games, well they are boring enough (except mario cart). And the design? Please, it looks like a foldable brick. The last and least feature of the DS is pictochat, wow, I really am too lazy to walk across the room, becuase thats as far as it goes!

As for the DS lite? Well I think that will fail as well, but I dont know, becasue I am not sure of all of the features.

Not like I am a PSP fanboy, not at all, I hate the PSP with a passion, but PSP over DS? Any day!
PS3 sucks...

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:58 am

i cant belive you just tried to diss the DS's design. wtf man. the psp is that shape too. its just black. and it dosent fold, leaving your precious screen exposed to the elements. oh and its bigger.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"