Pimp my Console

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:27 pm

Wayne Venomous wrote:"Customising" a car very badly seems to be quite normal here in England.
Audi A3 anyone:

[..]

(I think they're badged as Chevys in the US):
Actually, I kinda like that one :)

Also, we do have Chevys (well, Chevrolet) here, but I thought you guys did, too. I listen to a radio station from the UK all the time, and have heard some ads for them
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:18 pm

Haha chav my console.

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:28 pm

Yeah pimp my ride in America is way better but I still like pimp my ride uk I liked the cab that they did. When I finish high school I am going to UTI and taking they're biggest automotive course that they have so after that I would like to open my own customizing shop. I am looking for an older car right now so I can fix it up for when I turn 16 preferably an old lemans or gto.

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:58 pm

SpongeBuell wrote:
Wayne Venomous wrote:"Customising" a car very badly seems to be quite normal here in England.
Audi A3 anyone:

[..]

(I think they're badged as Chevys in the US):
Actually, I kinda like that one :)

Also, we do have Chevys (well, Chevrolet) here, but I thought you guys did, too. I listen to a radio station from the UK all the time, and have heard some ads for them
I like it too. sweet rims. The front is kinda borderline-cheesy, but it looks good overall. Hmm... the whole thing looks kinda like a big checkered cheese-wiz monster or something. Or am I just really tired? I think both.

Zhooibaal

Post by Zhooibaal » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:28 am

Wayne Venomous wrote:The most customised car in the UK is the Vauxhall Corsa (I think they're badged as Chevys in the US):
For some reason I still don't get the point General Motors is trying to make with calling Opel Vauxhall in the UK...
The cars are the same: they look the same, they drive the same, they have the exact same interior. The only difference is the brand label up front and the brand name on the back maybe... FFS, they're even priced the same?
I guess they just do it to make people think they're different... Just like Volkswagon thinks they can fool me by saying that the new VW Polo and the new Seat Ibiza are different except for looks and price.

But anyways, I think the pimp my console idea is pretty neat, allthough I think it's not really something that would get to the main public easely, so ething like "pimp my pc-case or something" would do better.
I will eat your brains!
yay, my blog!
This is Bull, he hates both kitties and bunnies...

Wayne Venomous

Post by Wayne Venomous » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:21 am

SpongeBuell wrote: Also, we do have Chevys (well, Chevrolet) here, but I thought you guys did, too. I listen to a radio station from the UK all the time, and have heard some ads for them
Ah, you mean Chevwoos!
They're just rebadged Daewoos. GM decided to try and promote the cars by claiming they're part of American motoring history. If that was the case, all your cars are Korean! We do get the occasional "grey import" of Corvettes etc though.
Zhooibaal wrote:For some reason I still don't get the point General Motors is trying to make with calling Opel Vauxhall in the UK...
The cars are the same: they look the same, they drive the same, they have the exact same interior. The only difference is the brand label up front and the brand name on the back maybe... FFS, they're even priced the same?
It's because the vast majority of the British public are stupidly patriotic about their cars! Vauxhall used to be British (I think the last British designed Vauxhall was the 1970's Viva) but because we're so "buy British" we still buy these German-built cars with a British badge :?

Same with Rovers. I drove a Rover 25 for the first time a couple of years ago and I hated it! The build quality was dreadful, it had no power, the steering was stupidly heavy, the ABS seemed to actually cause the braking to be worse and lock up (I can stop a car with no ABS and drum brakes all round better than I could stop this Rover!). But the British public still bought them.
I've often found if people spend less time worrying about what someone the other side of the world has posted on an internet forum and more time getting laid, they'll be a lot less tense.

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:42 am

I could imagine Ben doing a "Pimp My Ride"-esc show. It would be hilarious.
"Yo dawg this is the pimpen' LED mod!" Ahahaha...
Dr. Gregory House wrote:Good lord, are you having a bowel movement or a baby?

Zhooibaal

Post by Zhooibaal » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:49 am

I would sign-up with my Saturn for sure... I mean, I really like the Saturn, but I think it looks pretty boring...
I will eat your brains!
yay, my blog!
This is Bull, he hates both kitties and bunnies...

Wayne Venomous

Post by Wayne Venomous » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:05 am

xxxeagle wrote:Yeah pimp my ride in America is way better but I still like pimp my ride uk I liked the cab that they did. When I finish high school I am going to UTI and taking they're biggest automotive course that they have so after that I would like to open my own customizing shop. I am looking for an older car right now so I can fix it up for when I turn 16 preferably an old lemans or gto.
Go for it dude! I wished I'd followed my instincts rather than listen to "Career Advisors" and got into the Automotive side of things. Even if you start off as a mobile mechanic and gradually build up your reputation from there all the better.

I nearly ended up with an Apprentiship with a company called FBC which literally meant Future of the British Car industry. The irony is, they went bankrupt two weeks after giving me a start date - they truely were the future of the British car industry! :shock:

Older cars for fixer-uppers I'd recommend to a teenager are:
1960's/70's/early 80's Mercs - mainly because they don't rust half as bad as any other car out there. Plus the insurance is VERY cheap for a younger driver for some strange reason. I know a 19 year old who has a 1983 Merc 190 and that costs him £250 a year for insurance.

An alternative to the Merc is the BMW 5 series - again they don't rust much plus they go on forever! My 1990 BMW 520 cost me £340, has 205,000 on the clock as is still going. Apparently they're good for 400,000 miles. The M20 (six cylinder in-line 12 valve engine) is bullet proof so I'm told.

And the VW Bug (naturally!) mainly because they're very cheap to buy these days and you can get the parts very cheap too. They're a good introduction to welding/metalwork on cars. Plus the engines are so easy to remove, stripdown, tune etc. Also the girls think Bugs are cute too :wink:
I've often found if people spend less time worrying about what someone the other side of the world has posted on an internet forum and more time getting laid, they'll be a lot less tense.