So I was thinking.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Reploid Ayla
So I was thinking.

Post by Reploid Ayla » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:54 am

I just noticed this web page http://joystiq.com/2006/01/05/beggar-pr ... ring-2006/

and i was thinking. why doesn't Sega re-release the Genesis/Mega Drive with a hefty hardware boost as to where it has the ability to play intense games. keep it 16 bit, just pump up the resolution, add ram, processing power, etc. so they can release new games that have smoother, prettier graphics, but the same genesis feel.

elliott

Post by elliott » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:08 am

Because Sega doesn't do hardware anymore just software.

If they made a new system that was compatible with old carts they would get thousands of tech support calls from people with dirty carts and tiny brains.

It would be a horrible buisiness decision.

If you want the Genesis feel, get a Genesis they are cheap.

Zhooibaal

Post by Zhooibaal » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:35 am

SEGA won't do it, that's for sure, but maybe a company like Messiah who released this will release something like a "new" Genesis someday.
I will eat your brains!
yay, my blog!
This is Bull, he hates both kitties and bunnies...

MiGs

Post by MiGs » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:14 am

I had an idea like this, but I was thinking they should do the opposite, redo old school games on new hardware. Imagine playing a brand new legend of zelda game with all NES graphics and music, but like 50 million times bigger, longer, more in-depth on the GC or revolution. I mean, it would be so cheap to develop for, and I bet a lot of people would buy it. Imagine 1.5 gigs of old school goodness (would be cool on the xbox or PS2 with up to 9.4 gigs of space! most PS2 games don't even use a whole dual layer, or single layer DVD, or CD)

If that would happen, they could fit so much stuff into the game, it would probably take 1000hrs to complete... and for $50, thats 5 cents an hr. I dunno, just an idea. :o
Current Status: Single and Portableless.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:41 am

MiGs wrote:If that would happen, they could fit so much stuff into the game, it would probably take 1000hrs to complete... and for $50, thats 5 cents an hr. I dunno, just an idea. :o
That's assuming you only have one customer, though ;) (not to mention, you forgot to deduct the cost of parts)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:09 pm

elliott wrote:Because Sega doesn't do hardware anymore just software.

If they made a new system that was compatible with old carts they would get thousands of tech support calls from people with dirty carts and tiny brains.

It would be a horrible buisiness decision.

If you want the Genesis feel, get a Genesis they are cheap.
well no copulate crap they aren't a hardware company. and no im not some dumb crap that is thirteen.

with the possibility of rising projects of developing new software for old hardware, that might get companies to rethink and reissue their own hardware to lets say have the ability for larger amounts of smoother sprites, more colors, and better audio.

and im sure Microsoft has many idiots calling asking why a XBOX 360 overheats...

daguuy
Portablizer

Re: So I was thinking.

Post by daguuy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:20 pm

Reploid Ayla wrote:I just noticed this web page and i was thinking. why doesn't Sega re-release the Genesis/Mega Drive with a hefty hardware boost as to where it has the ability to play intense games. keep it 16 bit, just pump up the resolution, add ram, processing power, etc. so they can release new games that have smoother, prettier graphics, but the same genesis feel.
they already did :P
ImageImage

elliott

Post by elliott » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:33 pm

That's what we need, 32x homebrews. There are maybe three 32x games that are worth playing.

If you want a better system from Sega, play a Saturn or Dreamcast.

Producing a new Genesis would not be profitable for anyone. The cost would have to be well over $100, no one would buy it.

Game companies lose money on the console, they made up for it with games. If they make a new system compatible with old games they wouldn't sell as many new games.

G-force

Post by G-force » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:53 pm

My bro bought a 32X about a year ago and we still haven't found any game other than "Doom" that looked any good (and I certainly don't need another copy of Doom). A good homebrew game could certainly make us feel better about it taking up space in our room. That thing is impossible to get rid of too.... None of the game stores here even knew what it was! They tryed to cram a genny game in it. The after they looked it up in their magic books they told us they don't accept 32X.

I'm wondering, what three 32X games were you refering to? I'd like to give them a look next time I'm out.

elliott

Post by elliott » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:03 pm

I don't have a working 32x yet, but I hear good things about Knuckles Chaotix, Tempo, Shadow Squadron and Virtua Racing Deluxe.

Of course, not everyone likes the same games.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:22 pm

Well that's a good idea, they won't re-release the MD though

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)