iPod vs. PSP

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
iPod vs. PSP

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:52 pm

Now before you go off on a rant about "iPod/PSP are the suck" or "iPod/PSP rulez lololo!" Don't!

I'm here to ask what people think when comparing media play back. I know the PSP has a longer battery life when playing videos, and has 3/4 the time for playing MP3s. But the iPod does have the PSP beat in storage, having a 30GB hard drive vs (at best) 2GB memory stick.

I have about $250 so I'm wondering if I should splerge and go for the PSP or wait to get another $50+ and buy an iPod? Please support your opition. Thanks guys.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:05 pm

The PSPs volume is't amazing so if your used to blasting your ears off your head then you will be slightly dissapointed. Although you can use iTunes to boost the volume but that takes extra work if you want more volume. For me tho the volume is great.

It depends on what kind of music lissener you are. If you only have say 25-50 MP3s that you really lissen too than the PSP will work fine for you, and you can play games. If you lissen to more than go with the iPod.

With the screen off the PSP gets reletivly good battery life. around 10-12 hours of playback with the normal battery and if you get a $14 power brick it can jump to 20-24 hours continus.

It's really up too you. Just remember to factor a 1-2 gig stick into your price of the PSP. You can get a 1 gig for about $60-$70 off of ebay and a 2 gig for about $150.

Also don't expect to descreetly have your PSP in your jeans pocket. But if you wear a backpack like I do you can put your PSP inside and clip your remote to your jacket.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:21 pm

Get another $50. The iPod with video is absolutely great, andthe PSP I'm not to keen about.
PS360Wii Fanboy FTW!

Bay_Wolf

Post by Bay_Wolf » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:29 pm

Radon199 wrote:With the screen off the PSP gets reletivly good battery life. around 10-12 hours of playback with the normal battery and if you get a $14 power brick it can jump to 20-24 hours continus.
One question if they are rechargable batteries (Since i dont own a psp i dont know) then why have it play for 10-12 or 20-24 hours are you going to sit there for that long and play it? Just a thought. I could see if you had to buy batteries each time but if you can recharge them then i wouldnt really care just as long as it lasts for say 6-8 hours.

Regards

stuartjmoore

Post by stuartjmoore » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:32 pm

want games, maybe internet? psp

want media (movies, music, pictures)? ipod

Radon199

Post by Radon199 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:56 pm

Bay_Wolf wrote:
Radon199 wrote:With the screen off the PSP gets reletivly good battery life. around 10-12 hours of playback with the normal battery and if you get a $14 power brick it can jump to 20-24 hours continus.
One question if they are rechargable batteries (Since i dont own a psp i dont know) then why have it play for 10-12 or 20-24 hours are you going to sit there for that long and play it? Just a thought. I could see if you had to buy batteries each time but if you can recharge them then i wouldnt really care just as long as it lasts for say 6-8 hours.

Regards
Ya thats the thing that gets me, you can get 4-6 hours with a movie or hi to low end game. I mean with my PSP I might game for 2 hours on a normal day, maby less, and then charge my PSP. From around 40% of bettery life I can get it too 100% in about 30 - 40 mins. I mean ya if you have absolutly no social life and get to say school, for example, Game till first bell, go to your offclass and game for that intire amount of time. Game all Lunch and finaly game on the bus back and forth than yes, your probobly gonna run out of power. But with a power brick you can get another 4-6 hours of play and easily make it through a gameing day.

With a power brick I can get double the bettery life because it works just like the charger connected to the wall but it fit's easyily in your pocket. I't actualy so small i't can easily fit in my pocket no problem.

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:19 pm

thing is the mp3 player on the psp is just extra but the ipod is really meant for playing music and playing a lot of it. doesnt the psp use relatively expensive memory also. so if you wanted to store any where close to the amount of songs on a psp as you could on an ipod it would cost you quite a bit of $dough$
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:09 pm

lets think about this one

PSP - many features, many gimicks, battery life not so hot

iPod - plays music (or video), battery life not so hot.

both lack a good equilizer

i personally wouldnt buy a psp based on it's mp3 playback capabilities.

i personally wouldnt buy an ipod video because the video is a gimmick.

so to end this little thought process, get a Archos video player. they seem to know what they are doing...

edit: just buy a new or used gen 3 or 4 ipod, and replace the battery (if needed)

the older ipods work better, because you dont have to have the back light on, and come on buy a music player, not a gimmick gadget.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:23 pm

Do what i did

Participate in a Fund Raiser with an Ipod as a Prize, make sure the Raiser is Unpopular

Sell 10 things in the Raiser

Get the Ipod

FREE IPOD but its a MINI no video Capabilities, but i can listen to Bohemin Rhapsody any where :-D

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:25 pm

my friend got an MP3 player that holds as much as an ipod and has FM radio that only costs $150. maybe you should look for something like that if your looking for music. if you want multy funtionality them get a PSP
Last edited by daguuy on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:26 pm

one thing AVOID rio MP3 players, the HDD locks up if it is bumped, Ipod is so much better, but the Headphones suck

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:34 pm

I would get an ipod because I had problems with all 4 different psps I had! the first one had dead pixels the second one had even more the third one had a blemish on the screen and the fourth one had dead pixels! The psp isn't all its cracked up to be, you shouldn't have to update your firmware to play a newgame and the mp3 and video capabilities aren't anything special. I would get a new ipod video and if you want games they'll probably have some decent homebrews soon.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:37 pm

Pluss Music quiz is Awesome on an IPod i spent 2 hours playing it

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:38 pm

gamer2 wrote:one thing AVOID rio MP3 players, the HDD locks up if it is bumped, Ipod is so much better, but the Headphones suck
oh yeah, the headphone jack. it is sensitive in some cases. you may pause a song by bumping the jack. but that only happens with some headphones. it usually only happens when it is connected to my stereo.

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:48 pm

not just that but the Speakers them selfs i find them uncomfoertble none of my other head phones fit in the hole