I have lost all faith in Nintendo

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....
I have lost all faith in Nintendo

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:28 pm

I have now officially now lost all faith in nintendo, i agree with what ben said in the future of video games part 3, its gonna be sad but i think the revolution will be the last nintendo home console, well i say that, i think it will be the last nintendo home console released outside of japan.

I can see where they've gone wrong, it started all the way back with the release of the N64, great console but its where nintendo's "it'll do, we dont have to have new technology" and im refering of course to the refusal to drop the catrigde format, and again the refusal to accept DVD playing function in the gamecube and surprise surprise the revolution wont support HDTV, well done nintendo.

THe reason why there doing this is that they have such a huge fanbase in Japan that they dont need to worry too much about the western market, just look at the DS and PSP, in japan the DS's are out selling the PSP in consoles and games but its vice versa in the west. The DS again is another example of Nintendo's now "average" rank in the technology world, i recently browsed some of the DS new realeases and i was appaled, most of them could have been done on the GBA, except the fact that the DS has a touch screen. The DS would sell great, if the PSP weren't so much better graphically and technolically, like the ability to play movies, MP3 and browse the internet. It appeals more to western sensibilites, we want a machine that can do everything and sony understands that. where as nintendo always says "we focus on the games" code for we dont have the technolgy.

Now im not a sony fanboy, far from it, i was a nintendo fan from the SNES days (albiet i was quite young, very young) but i do believe that sony is the only company succesfully appealing to both eastern and western markets, while it does not outsell nintendo with the PSP it competed well with the gamecube and outsold it in the west, while microsoft on the other hand was a flop in the east with little interest but they're trying to change that with the 360 but nintendo have made no attempt or so it seems to appeal to us

But given sony's over protective-ness with DRM and such, and microsofts technology being a little worse compared to PS3. ive given up on the console market altogether. ive said it before, im a PC man these days and ill stay that way until something changes for the better.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:33 pm

you got a point with nintendo giving up on NA after revolution. DMR is for some other sony thing, thay aren't using it on videogames so PS3 should be really good
ImageImage

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:36 pm

I know that they arent using it on the PS3 but its the principle of the matter

Undisclosed

Post by Undisclosed » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:02 pm

Ya...i totally disagree. I didnt read everything you wrote, but Nintendo will keep on keeping on.

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 pm

how can you totally disagree without reading all of it?

totokan

Post by totokan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:09 pm

well, it's all pointing to another crash. Underpowered next-gen 360, gimmicky revolution, and the superpowered sony system with great graphics and hundreds of ps2/1 titles back available, there's nothing worthy of it's price anymore. My prediction is that PC gamers win, consoles crash. But there are problems to my theory. See, nowadays videogames aren't considered a fad, and the market prices are LESS for a new game. When accounting for inflation, the average game in the 'atari age' was upwards of $70 (34.50 or so at that time). See wikipedia.org and look up '1983 video game crash' and see for yourself WHY it happened, and why some stuff (mostly the PC part) can be applied today.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:12 pm

@ extreme jesus
I disagree nintendo has a big fanbase in america and I know a lot more people who have a nintendo ds than people that have a psp. Also ds attracts a lot of little kids. I have both and psp may have better technology but it is not better quality I have returned mine 2 times and am about to return it a third due to dead pixels. The psp is fragile and the firmware being added into games and required to play games is a scam.

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:15 pm

I agree the fan base is big (i used to be part of it) but i got tired of nintendo's attitude, while it is big, its nothing compared to the eastern market, and the western fanbase is shrinking more and more

Mr. Cool

Post by Mr. Cool » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:38 pm

I agree with you Extreme Jesus. Americans want their game systems to do everything, and that is what the PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 have given us, and the PS3 will give us. In Japan they are more centered around the games, so the DS has flourished there. The PSP has flourished here because, we want things that can do everything, and the psp has games movies internet pictures and music. The DS has games, 2 screens and wifi, but nointernet, movies, pictures, music, and less games. The PSP has kept peoples interest, by releasing movies, tons of games, and new features with firmware.
Regarding the revolution: Having a fancy controller, and a low price just wont cut it for america now. People are starting to want xbox360-like (or better) graphics, and HDTV is almost a must now, even though most people dont have it.Though it is nice that it can play DVDs, and has a Hard drive to save past nintendo games, all the next gen consoles have those features, and Xbox had them 4 years ago. Though I don't think the Revolution will be the last nintendo, I think it will probably be second to last. I dont think nintendo has much hope to do anything in the portables market, so I think it may go down the road of sega and eventually perish.
I just thought of something. Wouldnt it be interesting if Apple got into the videogame market? Heck, they have the technology, cause they have some pretty good computers. They also have a buttload of money off their new successful computers, as well as the huge success of iPods. Microsoft did it, so Apple might as well. I think in this time of turmoil, where all three systems have their faults, this would be a good time for apple to step into the videogame market. Though they certainly couldn't make it by this generation, they could probably step in if Nintendo starts to fall, and before Microsoft or Sony pulls out far ahead of the other.
Need unique content writer for your website? Check out http://www.uniquecontentcreation.com/

totokan

Post by totokan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:42 pm

One last thing I have to say about nintendo:
'They may not win this time around, but their next console will triumph over the competition, apealling to western and eastern gamers alike'

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:46 pm

If apple does enter i owe you something :D , they could if they want, but i think they more set on competing against microsoft in the computer market, although they might considering the unexpected popularity ipod

btw totokan i really hope that does come true, but the out look is grim....

xriverfalconx

Post by xriverfalconx » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:47 pm

I'll still get the revolution anyways. I've never had any problems with a nintendo console, and with the revolution being able to play games from OLDER systems...that's good enough for me to purchase this baby.

Some of these snes games are tough to acquire, but now, i'll have it available =) same with the n64...no need to go online at ebay and bid on games...just download them thru the rev. and booya!!! Play away. Only time will tell really how these systems do. For all we know, the ps3 can bomb miserably and the 360 becomes the number system and shuts down nintendo as well...we don't know. Only time will tell and also how well these companies listen to the consumers will distinguish were the future consoles go.
<a href="http://www.gmrealm.us">http://www.gmrealm.us</a>

-PC Modification Project- (special thanks to Foxx373) - Complete-

-WIP- mT16P (Portable Turbo Grafx 16)

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:49 pm

Mr. Cool's right! Apple should step in!

But first, lets PLEASE just wait until Nintendo gets out of the way. Otherwise things would just be plain confusing.

totokan

Post by totokan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:50 pm

I read it from somewhere long ago, around late '04. It was pretty acurate so far, saying microsoft will make theirs first, nintendo will have a new gimmick system, and sony will make theirs really strong. Then, the same person wrote something after TGS2005 saying 'they haven't shown us everything, there is more then meets the eye'. But everyone knows this. On wikipedia, they say 'everything will be revealed may 9, 2006'. So I'm waiting for the revelation on the revolution.

Extreme_Jesus

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:52 pm

i am curious as to what its like but i dont have the money to buy it just out of curiosity, i know my one remaining nintendo fan friend will proably get it