Dungeons and Dragons

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Thornwillow
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:46 pm
Contact:

Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Thornwillow » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:19 pm

Anyone here play it? I want to get bad!

User avatar
MilkMonster
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: A stupid place in NC
Contact:

Post by MilkMonster » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:23 pm

The video game or the real D&D? If you were talking about the real one then yes, I have played it before. Wasn't that fun but I'd play it again.

User avatar
demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:52 pm
PSN Username: ajsen1gma
Steam ID: demonofaj
Location: NYC (718)
Contact:

Post by demonofaj » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:20 pm

I choked on a multi-sided die once; thought it was a skittle :lol: .
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

User avatar
Darth Fett
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...
Contact:

Post by Darth Fett » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:14 am

The Rents won't let me play it. :cry: But my uncle plays it,and is helping me convince them to let me play it. :P
Image
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

User avatar
abbibi
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Location: Nowhereland
Contact:

Post by abbibi » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:20 am

Darth Fett wrote:The Rents won't let me play it. :cry: But my uncle plays it,and is helping me convince them to let me play it. :P
Have them listen to this: The Dead Alewives - Dungeons and Dragons. It shows them exactly how horrible D&D is.
The Portables of Doom!
PortablesofDoom.org

Reaperman@home
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:19 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Post by Reaperman@home » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 am

I don't, but I keep buying vintage d&d garbage when I find it at thrift stores. right now I've got a players handbook from 1980 and a 1979 'basic set' to put up there. once I find out if the basic set is complete, that is.

I do get pretty big into tabletop strategy, though. I've done warhammer, mageknight, mechwarrior and creepyfreaks (because it was really cheap). Right now I'm looking for folks to get into Pirates of the Spanish Main.

and I've never found anybody else committed enough to play, I've always wanted to try BrikWars. http://www.brikwars.com/
Last edited by Reaperman@home on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
soundwave
Senior Member
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Post by soundwave » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:48 am

It seems that whenever I go into a comic shop (rarely, very rarely) there are like 6 people playing D&D.

User avatar
bicostp
Moderator
Posts: 10491
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:47 pm
Steam ID: bicostp
Location: Spamalot
Contact:

Post by bicostp » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:10 am

I kind of got into it back in middle school. I mean I had a few strange dice and a couple photocopied character sheets, but that's about it. I never had any of the player's manuals or anything like that.

Actually one of my friends did all of the adventure stuff. He never followed the player's manuals. We just used the basic frameworks to make our own (rather strange) locations. For example, one monster was the "Cybernetic Toast Ghost", which was only vulnerable to attacks from magnet, dairy, and ecto based weapons :lol:. Of course he did it all mentally, so we didn't have to carry around a bunch of dice or cards or figurines or anything (like we used them anyways. :P :roll:) And to keep everything impartial, we always asked someone at random for a random number between 1 and x, depending on what dise we needed. It passed the time on field trips and stuff. Fun times, they were. But after a while we lost interest and started playing Texas Hold em' instead. :P

Today I use some of the dice for making variations on games like Clue, so you can move up to 10 spaces as opposed to 6. It sure makes finding out that Col. Mustard did it with the pipe wrench in the Ballroom much faster. :lol:

One of my friends in High School has a ton of that stuff for that "Magic the Gathering" trading card game. One of them is 100-sided and looks almost like a perfect sphere. :roll: I never got into trading cards, they can get too expensive over time.

I always thought it was more fun to make things up on your own than to use someone else's rules and games. 8)

User avatar
Darth Fett
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...
Contact:

Post by Darth Fett » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:59 am

bicostp wrote:I kind of got into it back in middle school. I mean I had a few strange dice and a couple photocopied character sheets, but that's about it. I never had any of the player's manuals or anything like that.

Actually one of my friends did all of the adventure stuff. He never followed the player's manuals. We just used the basic frameworks to make our own (rather strange) locations. For example, one monster was the "Cybernetic Toast Ghost", which was only vulnerable to attacks from magnet, dairy, and ecto based weapons :lol:. Of course he did it all mentally, so we didn't have to carry around a bunch of dice or cards or figurines or anything (like we used them anyways. :P :roll:) And to keep everything impartial, we always asked someone at random for a random number between 1 and x, depending on what dise we needed. It passed the time on field trips and stuff. Fun times, they were. But after a while we lost interest and started playing Texas Hold em' instead. :P

Today I use some of the dice for making variations on games like Clue, so you can move up to 10 spaces as opposed to 6. It sure makes finding out that Col. Mustard did it with the pipe wrench in the Ballroom much faster. :lol:

One of my friends in High School has a ton of that stuff for that "Magic the Gathering" trading card game. One of them is 100-sided and looks almost like a perfect sphere. :roll: I never got into trading cards, they can get too expensive over time.

I always thought it was more fun to make things up on your own than to use someone else's rules and games. 8)
I like trading card games.I have Yu-gi-oh cards(my specialty 8) )Pokemon cards,Digimon cards,Lord of the Rings cards,Animorphs cards,and Star Wars cards.I have some Magic:the Gathering cards too,but i don't like them very much.And i'm making my own card game based on the book series Warriors :P (erin hunter).
Image
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

User avatar
demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:52 pm
PSN Username: ajsen1gma
Steam ID: demonofaj
Location: NYC (718)
Contact:

Post by demonofaj » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:44 pm

I had a lot of Pokemon cards, until I accidentially threw them out. That was 5 years ago. 3 years ago, I had Yu-Gi-Oh, 50% which was fake. I just stopped collecting after the second year. It just got so FREAKING BORING. Nevertheless the stereotypes, the godforsaken stereotypes. People, I'm NOT a fat man who likes cheesy nachos. :roll:
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

User avatar
Sir Games-A-Lot
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:25 am
Location: Sitting around a table wishing the king would get IBM Consultants

Post by Sir Games-A-Lot » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:08 am

Reaperman@home: Brikwars is an absolute blast to play and I highly recommend giving it a try! The whole concept may seem a little silly at first but it actually works out quite well practice.
<a href="http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_cg.php?im">
<img src="http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/cg.php?val=5780" alt="My computer geek score is greater than 83% of all people in the world! How do you compare? Click here to find out!"> </a>

User avatar
xriverfalconx
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:57 pm
Location: Vana'Diel - Titan Server
Contact:

Post by xriverfalconx » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:11 am

I tried playing it once...wasn't my style. I have played the games though on the arcade and the new one I bought, dragonshard. Those were awesome imo.
<a href="http://www.gmrealm.us">http://www.gmrealm.us</a>

-PC Modification Project- (special thanks to Foxx373) - Complete-

-WIP- mT16P (Portable Turbo Grafx 16)

Reaperman@home
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:19 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Post by Reaperman@home » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:20 am

Sir Games-A-Lot wrote:Reaperman@home: Brikwars is an absolute blast to play and I highly recommend giving it a try! The whole concept may seem a little silly at first but it actually works out quite well practice.
oh I want to play it. it looks like a ton of fun and it's so customizable it's not even funny. the best part is that when you want to change the whole theme of the game, you never have to purchase anything else...ever. (I've played enough warhammer to realize the value in this) I even was to the point once where I was making smaller vehicles with that game halfway in mind.

however in and around my age bracket (mid 20's) it's rather difficult to find other local lego users. hopefully when I move to New Orleans next month, there will be some kind of user group down there.

I was going to try the distance RPG route, but I just didn't have enough follow through. here's what I made for that:
http://www.geocities.com/reaperman93010/starship.html

User avatar
abbibi
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:33 pm
Location: Nowhereland
Contact:

Post by abbibi » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:33 am

If you're interested in Brikwars, look into Megabloks. Their medieval and pirate lines are incredible! Even though I'm 25, I have a hard time NOT buying them.
The Portables of Doom!
PortablesofDoom.org

User avatar
psychotic_mechanic
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:06 pm

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:20 pm

I used to play a lot when I was younger. While unpacking I found the character sheet for my 12th level anti-paladin with a girdle of fire-giant strength. My character could kick your character's butt! :D
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

Post Reply