Any interest in Game Gear LCD mods?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63
Any interest in Game Gear LCD mods?

Post by com64 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm posting here to see if there is any interest in Game Gears modified for a new LCD screen (basically installing a converter board and a new LCD and LCD controller board) since I'm putting some together for myself. I'll also be posting around some of the English/French (if I can find any French ones; I can get by on French) 8/16-bit SEGA forums.

The projected cost of a completely modified unit is about USD$90-$100 (minimum).

Minimum hardware required and where I'll get it: (or better yet, save me the trouble and ship them to my doorstep)
  • GGTV board (Australia)
  • LCD Screen and board LQ035NC111 (China)
  • Capacitors (Local electronics shop)
  • Game Gear (Craigslist)
Extra hardware:
D-SUB/etc. jacks for TV output/input (the LCD controller boards I plan to use support two inputs with automatic switching)

The GGTV boards I plan to get from that Australian guy (stinkyfist?) will cost USD$60 each shipped to me; I do not know if he will take bulk orders.

If someone could help me track down some LQ035NC111 controller boards that use a better-than-composite signal, that would be great, although they will most likely be larger and more expensive. The cheapest I've been able to find an LCD and controller board without buying in bulk (≥5-10 units) is USD$32, although I may be able to strike a deal with a Chinese company to get a bunch of them for USD$20 if there is enough interest in this project.
I have used these exact screens and driver boards before and I have one on-hand, although it's already dedicated to a project and soldered/glued in. I may have to modify the boards or implement a voltage step-up. I have the equipment to calculate the approximate Watt*Hour difference between a stock Game Gear, and a modified unit, so I'll be doing that once I get enough parts in to assemble a single unit.

Capacitors will cost next to nothing if I just put in an order at the local shop and drive over and pick it up.

I can easily score a bunch of blown-capacitor Game Gears from Craigslist and I have a few of my own, although I cannot guarantee the condition of the shell casing or screen (note: not referring to LCD display).

D-SUB's/S-Video/Composite/etc. and cabling I can source from the local shop, Ebay, or China. I have no idea what a full cable would cost yet, although I could find some full-pin D-SUB cables and strip off one end to replace it with whichever connectors are desired. If I source them from China in batches of 10, it will cost roughly USD$2 for a male cable and female d-sub.
Finally: the surface!

duo_r

Re: Any interest in Game Gear LCD mods?

Post by duo_r » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:23 am

What screen size is that one? Do you know a good source for a 3.5" screen?

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Re: Any interest in Game Gear LCD mods?

Post by com64 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:35 am

duo_r wrote:What screen size is that one? Do you know a good source for a 3.5" screen?
It's a 3.5" transmissive TFT QVGA (320x240). If you want the exact footprint of the screen and active dot area, look up the datasheet online; it will give you the exact metric measurements. Make sure you get both the LCD and the driver board. The driver board I'll link you should run between 6 and 12 volts.

You can either get the two parts separately: ($28.99)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5inch- ... 52487.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CHIMEI-3 ... 25195.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or buy from the exact same seller I bought mine from: ($32)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeship ... 50462.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From my experience, it might take up to a week for your payment to go through, and another 2-3 weeks for delivery. Not too bad if you don't mind waiting, or you can pay another $30 shipping to get it delivered within a week.

You can also buy from ebay:

EDIT: I just realised that this listing only includes the screen. Don't buy from here.
Spoiler:
This one's driver board is a little thicker due to the capacitors, maybe just slightly, but it's a bargain at $18.99. I'd definitely go for this one; I might actually order some here later:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-5inch-tft-lcd- ... d80&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look around enough, you might be able to find a driver board that supports S-Video and VGA inputs in addition to Composite. These driver boards I've linked you only support composite.

I have already used this screen and driver board before; I can give you some details:
The display I got has a matte finish.
The driver board has multiple brightness settings (connect a momentary switch)
The driver board has a mirroring function (WRT vertical, connect a momentary switch)
The driver board has two AV inputs (AV2 has priority over AV1 IIRC)
The driver board should support 6 to 12 volts
Finally: the surface!