Modular designs: Why don't I see more of them?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

MM007
Modular designs: Why don't I see more of them?

Post by MM007 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:57 pm

I can see why you guys usually put the LCD and controller in a brand new case with systems, but some of us poor people can't afford a new LCD and system every time we want to do it. Plus, some of us are too scared to hack apart our newer systems.

Why do I not see more modular designs?

My SFA(SNESA) was probably one of the earliest partial modular designs, as the LCD was unmodified and fully detachable, and the system could stil be used as a console, even with RF. My PS1A is to be fully modular, as is a NGCA/GameCubeA which I am making for a friend.

This is not just for poor people who can't afford a new LCD everytime, but also good for prototyping and working with systems you are too scared to mod, are small enough already to live with, or are not likely to be made any more compact, like the NCG.

This doesn't result in any pocket portables, but they are small enough to live with...

Just throwing it out there. I mean, modular designs don't void warranties as you don't need to open the system, and they are no more copyright infringement(like anyone here really cares about selling their units anyway ^^) than the third-party controllers and batteries the modules hold.

I see three main module units(four if you keep the controller and battery case seperate, but just put the battery inside a project box, put the buttons above the battery and you can have both in one):

Screen, which is meant to be modular anyway, and need not be altered(save the LED mod and maybe a few other tweaks like Video/Audio in)...

System, which can be altered(Mod chips...mmmm...), but actualy need not be...

and lastly, battery/controller modules, which is where the vast majority of modification is.

You may think it might turn out ugly, but check out the PS1A concept design, possibly the first full-fledged modular homebrew portable concept...(copy and paste into your browser)

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/mm007/ps1a.jpg

It isn't too ugly...and the same concept can be used for things like Genesis 3, NGC, and even N64(I'd make the N64A like my SFA, as the top left and top right corners of the console fit the hands nicely, and the ext. port on the bottom the US N64 is not needed. I'd still make the screen modular though.)

Another pro to modular screens is that you can close them and protect from scratches.

I am not dissing custom cases and one-case systems. Those things are BEAUTIFUL, and often very functional! It is just that for certain things, modular seems a good choice...that and you don't have to pay for a new LCD every time you make a system. Swap them like batteries.
Last edited by MM007 on Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:06 pm

I'm kinda following the modular system by possibly making it so I can attatch my pocket tv when I want it, and pull it off when I don't.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:41 pm

Im gonna be modular by using the gba av adaptor in all my portables. That way I can change my screen (a GBA SP) for use in all my portables. I havent done this yet so I dont know how itll work but I know its gonna mean some LONG battery life. AFAIK a gba sp can last ~18h on a single charge. And an atari (my current portable) will last ~6h on my 3000mah battery. So modularity (if its a word) is a pretty useful thing.

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:03 pm

The hardest part of making a portable with a removable screen in my mind is trying to make it look good and not make the portable any bigger than it would be normally.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:55 pm

This is true. I have considered making a special case setup where the screen, instead of folding down, slides into the face of the unit. It is hard to describe, but you might get the idea...
Warranty-Voiding fun!

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:43 pm

I have tried designing the same exact thing, but I couldn't figure out a suitable way to keep the screen in place using just vacuum forming techniques. Using cnc equipment would make it much easier.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:53 pm

Though a lot more $ $ $ P R I C E Y $ $ $!
:(

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:42 pm

yeah i want a vaccum forming machine so i can sell and build cases. It would also be good for redisigning controlers. But MM007 i saw your portable and i think it looks pretty good.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:54 pm

Thanks! ^^ That was designed to be a portable that still had all the capabilities of the original console. I'm happy with how it turned out. It also let me test out the modular design of the screen. It can still be removed.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:57 pm

Yeah its pretty nice you could make a bunch of the modualaur add ons and sell them becuase its your own product and not sonys so it legal to sell.

MM007

Post by MM007 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:07 pm

xxxeagle wrote:Yeah its pretty nice you could make a bunch of the modualaur add ons and sell them becuase its your own product and not sonys so it legal to sell.
That's what i said earlier--it is no more copyright infringement than a third-party controller is. ^^
Warranty-Voiding fun!