Case Material

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

scherzo
Case Material

Post by scherzo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:41 pm

I'm playing around with the eMachineShop to get an idea of how much it would cost to get a case made by them. I'm not quite sure what kind of plastic to use and at what width. Can someone help?

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:49 am

How about 1/16th" ABS?

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:18 am

Thanks. The prices don't seem that steep if I order multiple quantities.

On another case note... I've looked at the tutorials for vacuum forming and I think it's a task well within my capabilities. The only thing is that they don't touch on how to make the positive mold.

I saw the pics on portablesystems.bravepages.com for the Playstation case that was made by first doing a clay model, then making a plaster version of that. I guess I need basic understanding of how to make a mold suitable for vacuum forming. For instance, assuming I'm going to make a case with 1/16th material, I need to make my model a tad scaled down to account for that, right?

I'm a programmer with a real desire to do more hardware related stuff. I've ported emulators to different systems but that is not as gratifying as playing on real hardware.

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:09 am

yeah, you would need to make the bust slightly smaller than the size you want the case to be. Vacuum Forming stretches the plastic though, so it's not going to be 1/26" thick in all places.