[i]Portable Sega CDX Finished![/i]

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

segasonicfan
[i]Portable Sega CDX Finished![/i]

Post by segasonicfan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:27 pm

Hey folks,

I finally finished my portable baby, the Sega CDX Ultima! Check out the pics here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tuneviper ... /my_photos

It features:

-RGB video (The 32X is modded for RGB as well)
-5" display
-Stereo speakers
-50/60hz import switch
-JP/US import switch
-2nd headphone port
-S-video output (I have to do the AES style mod, but the chroma and luma outputs are on the DB-9)
-Built in FM automatic scan radio
-Screen on/off switch
-System on/off switch
-External controller switch (to use a regular Genesis controller for 1 player)
-Up to 4 players
-Plays SMS, Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X games

Tell me what ya think! Oh, and I DO realize the controller is not completely covered...I may change that later but for now I'm not going to worry about it. The RGB input on the upper left is a DB-9 connector which can be removed to play RGB 32X! It can also be used to connect S-video and (eventually) I'm going to connect component video :)

-Segasonicfan[/img]

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:29 pm

very nice. I assume you need the 32x adapter to play those games, don't you?
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:48 pm

yea...theres a pic of it connected to the 32X. It can all be done off battery power as well :) It is a rather large setup with the 32X, not for day-to-day use. However, for a plane ride, vacation, or home use it's a rather nice addition :)

-Segasonicfan

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:07 am

Looks great. I'm impressed at the set up. The only thing that really looks bad is just hat you have the parts cobiled together. If you can you should look at making a custom case so that the unit looks clean and stream-lined.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:02 pm

Yeah if you can get a custom case it would be awesome. Though it looks good at the moment to.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:09 pm

quite botched at the moment, a better case would make it perfect.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:21 pm

Well, I am concerned very little with the casing. The amount of work involved in making a custom case is insane...using a vacuum foam or similar method would mean another hundred hours or more of work that I'm not prepared to invest in simply fo 'eye appeal.' I personally think the system looks great, and a custom case would only improve the appeal by a fraction. Looking at what has been created on Doomportables.org and similat places it's one of the best looking portables out there, so I'm fine with how it looks :)

The asthetics of the system have always been a sore point for me since it's the most common, continuous negative point brought up about my system. I understand the critic, but I think you guys are setting the standard just a little too high. If anyone would like to make me a case feel free, I'd be glad to send you a data file with measurements....

Anyway, it's certainly my fault for looking for praise. Just figured I could use a little after so many months working on it. *sigh* back to the old self-assuring method.

-Segasonicfan

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:30 pm

Its not that bad it would just look beter with a custom case. It looks fine as it is.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:17 pm

My thoughts on a good portable:
As long is it works and is comfortable to play, I would like it! A custom, vacuum-formed case does make a portable look better, and sometimes feel better, but a custom case is not neccesary for a good portable.
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:52 pm

my only concern is the case problem near the controller. That looks like it would hurt to play even.

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:35 pm

i like it. The only suggestion i have is to smooth out the sides where you cut the controller shell. I like the blueness around the screen. It looks pretty good.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:24 pm

my beliefs on portables are much like gamelevers. The controller may look uncomfortable, but that isn't the case at all (no pun intended). The sides of the controller (where you actually hold it) are very smooth and were not cut at all all from the original Nomad design. Inly the front and insides have been cut, so it doesn't affect your hands at all. Take another look at the pics and you'll see what I'm talking about.