Back words compatability?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

xxxeagle
Back words compatability?

Post by xxxeagle » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:12 pm

Which Conslole to do you think has the best backwards compatablitity?

Which portable do you think has the best back wards compatablility?

For consoles i would say playstations have the best. The ps2 can play psone games and the ps3 is supposed to be able to play ps2 and ps1 games.

For portables i would have to say the game boys have the best backwards compatability they can play gb gbc and the ds will be able to play gba games.

I no this isnt that good of a topic now that i think of it becuase the systems ive listed have pretty much no competition in the backwards compatability compartment. But i still wanted to see what you think.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:23 pm

Ah last I heard about the DS it wasnt going to support GB or GBA games it would be stand alone.

The whole backwards compatablity thing is still a new item. Sony so far is the only console manufaturer that has that fuction. Microsoft I heard is debating whether or not to have Xbox games be playable on the next gen console, Nintendo is seriously considering if you havent made up their minds.

Personally if a stable and reliable Sega CD and Saturn emulator could be make for the Dreamcast I'd do that.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:29 pm

Sparkfist wrote:The whole backwards compatablity thing is still a new item. Sony so far is the only console manufaturer that has that fuction.
Not really... The atari 7800 plays 2600 games... though some games have problems.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:32 pm

Well forgot about that, but still its not that widespead. It isnt really possible to have games backwards compatiable with carts for the most part. It would really have been a waste of time and money for say Nintendo to work to make the SNES work on the N64.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

s3ptic

Post by s3ptic » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:58 pm

Ah last I heard about the DS it wasnt going to support GB or GBA games it would be stand alone.
It has been confirmed by Nintendo that the DS will feature support for GBA games, however it will not support GB or GBC games. I think this is to save space in the DS, this way they don't have to include the GBC harware.