owning your own cinema

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator: Moderators

watermelon

owning your own cinema

Post by watermelon » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:06 am

my dream is to own my own cinema, its not likely to happen but i like to think about it occasionally.

the only cinema i can go to without traveling for over an hour is an odeon. but its expensive and only shows current blockbusters.

if i had my way i would have a small single screen cinema. and it would be/have:

youd be able to smoke and drink in there.

no adverts and trailers, just a short peice telling them whats on and maybe shorts from the local art college while ther audience waits for the film to start.

the film will start when advertised, not twenty minutes after its scheduled.

the seats will have to be comfy. if i could somehow populate it with sofas and arm chairs donated by people that would be great.

open late. im an insomniac and nocturnal, and id love to be able to go and see a film late, and im sure there are plenty of other people who would too.

id show all varietys of film, probably not newer films due to cost. i think id have a request system as well where people could recommend a film to be played. i think a small cinema that shows a large selection of films would create quite a large cult following in the area and people would become involved.

it would have to be cheap. the thing that bothers me most about cinema these days is the expense. i understand its a buissness, but i simply cant pay £8.00 a time to see a film.

id decorate it in a seedy backstreet 70s style. thats how real cinemas should look. its like modern arcades. it just doesnt feel right.

im not sure how i would do it, but i would possibly have some game people could play before the film. somthign like pictionary on the screen to keep them entertained.

if i ever come into any money by some miracle, i wouldnt hesitate to start my own cinema, but as much as i like to dream about it, i dont think it would ever take off or make any money back.

what would your dream in life be? owning an arcade? being a jet pilot? ect

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:30 am

its actually not that hard to own a cinema, if you can find some investors and you have a little bit of business sense.

the kind you're talking about might be a little harder to sustain, but its not impossible, especially if you live in a college town and advertise like buck wild. there is always a small but insatiable demand for indie, foreign and b-movies, and i know a few theatres that get by charging nearly at cost for the movie and getting by on donations or state funds.
2 "pong" systems, Atari 2600, Odyssey2, Intellivision III, Top Loading NES, GameBoy Pocket, Sega Genesis 3, Sega Nomad, Game.com, N64, Playstation, Dreamcast, GameCube, XBox

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:44 am

Or do what a lot of celebraties do and make a home theater. Though if you want the real cinema feel you'll need a projector. Plaint the wall white, get a nice powerful 5.1 surround sound setup, and your set to go.

The real nice thing about a projector is that you can get the screen almost any size you want. 60" or as they did at the YMCA once about 15'.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:39 am

it just depends on how big your wall is ;)...
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:20 pm

Yeah on another note I was driving around with a projecter dreamcast combo in m friends car (I call the combo a screencast) and played Soul Calibar at the drive in in the winter :wink:

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:46 pm

there is this vacant theatre down the street, and it would actually be my dream to open it up and make it so chill. It's called the Valley Theatre.

I would only sell bulk candy, bottled pop, beer, and popcorn. (cause i copulate hate when the floors are sticky) Select areas can have smoking (only if there is good ventilation). Oh and a potential hookah bar. Now that would rock.

as far as the movies would go. I'd play old and new movies. Mainstream, Independant, everything. I'd have marithons of like Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Star Wars (originals only[screw the phantom crap]), Tarrintino flicks. God it would be amazing. and i would only charge like 4 bucks a ticket, cause the valley only charged 1.50 then they raised it. Wouldn't you pay 7 bucks to watch Easy Rider, drink a beer, and have a smoke?

rawls

Post by rawls » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:13 pm

It is tough to sustain a cinema mainly because renting prints is pretty expensive, even if you just pick up 2nd run ones or random old stuff.

Also, you have to get a projector and the various lenses to work with anamorphic and the like and that can get pretty expensive (unless you find someone selling an old one).

Another, slightly cheaper (and lower quality) option is to get a 16mm projector. Prints for a lot of older movies exist on 16 but it still costs some dough to rent them. You need a pretty dedicated fan base (of about 200 -300 people paying a few bucks for entry) just to break even.

You could look into getting an LCD projector and showing movies from DVDs (or LDs, if you have them), but you have to find out about paying for the rights to show them. That also can get pretty expensive (you could always do it on the DL and hope that nobody rats you out - but then you'd probably have to do it in your basement and it would be more like a creepy stag party than a cinema).

EDIT: You can make an LCD projector from a PSONE screen for about $100 to $200. It won't project on a huge screen, but a 10'x10' one would probably look ok.

Triton
360 GamerTag: triton199
Steam ID: triton199

Post by Triton » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:20 pm

my grandpa used to run a theatre back in the old days, man i wish we still had some of that stuff today! he had original prints of gone with the wind and stuff like that! the original reels and all that jazz, plus having a projector like that would own

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username: Lythinca
Steam ID: scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:24 pm

one thing...You cannot smoke in a Cinema Becuase the smoke will get in the way of the Projection causing a Big black spot on the wall/screen...

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:30 pm

Because smoke has a knack for clotting into a beachball-like sphere...?

madc0w
Location: In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:31 pm

lets ask cennar hes an expert on this stuff
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:32 pm

I always wanted my own theatre or arcade If I had one there would be no smoking in the actual theater I would have a little room off to the side where people could smoke with a monitor of the movie I was showing on it so they wouldn't miss any thing and I wouldn't have ash all over the nice seats. I would have marathons and stuff like that and when a new movie from a series would come out I would show all of the previous movies the week before so that people could catch up and I would show old dukes of hazzard episodes all the time. There would be arcade machines and old fashioned glass bottle coke machines!

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:17 am

I'd refuse to watch a film in a place you can smoke, because excess passive smoking and smoking in general for that matter can easily kill me, and I don't really want that to happen. Smoking should be banned in public places.

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

shelter pitfall

Post by shelter pitfall » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:24 am

And there is also a reason for no drinking, the cost of cleaning up the stuffs.

rawls

Post by rawls » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:26 am

Not so long ago (say pre 1980s), it was ok to smoke in theatres, so I would assume it wouldn't affect the picture quality <i>too</i> much. It would be a bit hazy, but the "black spots" that HDC was talking about really only appear when the person blowing the smoke is very near the projection beam (because after not so long the smoke dissipates into a gastly haze). Unless you are are in the front row (and even there it would be tough) or have a very, very small theatre, this shouldn't be an issue. Now as to the air quality, that is another story (any of you non-smokers who have been in a bingo hall full of old ladies will know what I am talking about).

One thing older theatres had (around the time of the baby boom) was soundproof balcony rooms that ladies (or gents, I imagine) who brought kids could sit in to watch the movie. There was a big glass wall so they could see the movie (and I assume the sound was piped in, as well), but the potentially annoying racket of the kids was shut in for only them to hear. As the father of a two-year old, I wish they had those now.... Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that a similar thing could be built for smokers (and you wouldn't even have to make it soundproof - unless you were worried about stoner chatter) and that way both smokers and non-smoker would be happy.