Soldering to boards

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Cyberblade
Soldering to boards

Post by Cyberblade » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:53 pm

How do I solder to boards? Like directly connecting the controller or video with wires directly to the board? A good tutorial with good pictures would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:10 pm

Well with most consoles you'd just solder the wirse right to the connection points on the board. For example with the N64 if you want to have only a first person controller you'd strip the ends of the controller's cable and solder the positive, data, and ground to their corasponding leads.

The atari... with that you have to solder the buttions to each pin on the roit chip. I dont know what the pin numbers are but if you want the info its at www.classicgaming.com/vcsp under Ben's howto - wiring controllers and paddle.

As for knowing what wire goes where (for the former part) you can do what I would. Cut the controller with about an inch left on the connection (part that goes into the system) then rip open the casing. As the wires are still atached you can just reverse engineer your way to wiring the controller.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Cyberblade

Post by Cyberblade » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:34 pm

Thanks, what about splitting a controller anyways? Like splitting it apart so I can adjust it's distance for confort? Can I just solder wires between the corresponding connections? Pictures of what and where to connect things would be most helpful.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:54 pm

I dont quite understand it, but if you mean you want to have the controller's d-pad and other button ajusted to a distance so when you have it the case its comfortable, you can leave the wires long. Inbetween the connection? Do you mean you want to leave the controller ports on then I'd say solder the controller's wires ont eh underside were the soldert hat holds the ports in can be of use to you.

About pictures I can help you there, I only have access to photobucket.com and the resolution on the pics suck. Maybe someone can help us out here.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

Cyberblade

Post by Cyberblade » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:03 pm

I mean like cutting the controller board in half and then connecting wires between it so it works still. That way I can design a wider case like a gamegear styled case.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:22 pm

Well with that I'd say solder wires to the leads and grond that you cut through.

I am a geek.

Cyberblade

Post by Cyberblade » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:15 pm

Uhm...perhaps a little more detail? I need a picture of something, even if it's crappy in paint.