Approx price for a PS3p?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22
Approx price for a PS3p?

Post by griehm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Just looking around to see the approx price people pay for a PS3p. Nothing special but it's not crap either.

Thanks!
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

stuntpenguin007

Re: Approx price for a PS3p?

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Did you make one? If did and you want to get it appraised, it would probably be best to show pictures. Price can really vary depending on how well it's put together and who is in the market to buy one. A PS3p with an HD screen and a CNC cut case is obviously going to go for a lot more than if someone slapped a PS3 and a 480i LCD screen into a breifcase. Sorry to not be that helpful, but it's a pretty hard question to answer.

A really nice one made by Ben went for $9,000 on ebay, not sure if the winner actually paid though
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech ... -hits-9000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy says he would sell his for $2,000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmKvgUU99k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Post by griehm » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 am

I did use a briefcase like enclosure, but made custom brushed stainless steel panels for the top case and LCD frame. The top case has holes cut out by CNC for the power and eject buttons.
The LCD is 720P (1440x900 exactly, but scaled to 1366x768) with a controller board allowing for picture adjustment and extra inputs over VGA- however the case does not have holes for that. I could easily include them, though. It's a PS3 slim, 500GB HDD with a thermal paste job to maximize the lifetime of the system. I've extended the ethernet port, USB ports and slot for the drive to the case.

I would love to post pictures, but my camera has died (my only... "anything" with a camera).

Just looking to see what I could approx get so I can work on V2 with a slimmer carbon fiber case and lots of extras.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:38 pm

I would have to say paying $4,000 or more for a PS3 or XBOX laptop is crazy, unless most of the proceeds are going to a good charity or something. My TIG welded aluminum / polystyrene PS3 laptop sold for $1,200 and was far more durable than foamed PVC construction. It may just be me, but I consider using a CNC cheating, as the machine is doing the work, not the modder.

If I was going to buy a laptop built by somebody else I would definitely want to see detailed pictures of the internals as a pretty laptop won't be worth much if it stops working after 6 months. A lot of people cut down the heatsinks to make them thinner, but that could lead to overheating. If controls or drives are relocated, proper connections are a must. If it looks as good inside as it does outside, that's a good indicator of quality construction.

A carbon fiber case would be sweet, but you have to research it first because if the resin isn't packed into the fibers tightly it will be significantly weaker.

The disadvantage to using a briefcase or pelican type case is there's a lot of wasted room.