Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

NES

Post by NES » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 am

Last edited by NES on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Debate on tv quality, need 3rd party opinion

Post by hailrazer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

1st. Composite sucks and hdmi is 10000X better. You friend is an idiot if he thinks otherwise.

Composite is very low resolution and allows for interference , color bleeding, etc.

Meanwhile HDMi is very high resolution digital with none of those problems.

That being said, if you have no high def signal going to the tv then it doesn't matter. If you are just running composite to both then the older tv would look better, because the newer tv's do not display composite as well as the older tv's.

2nd. The world determines intelligence most of the time on knowing facts. For instance people think Jeopardy winners are intelligent. They are not, they just can memorize very well. Intelligence depends on problem solving and practical application of knowledge. A lot of people who memorize things well have no practical intelligence, heck they usually can't build anything or even use tools.

I would say whichever one of them can reason things out and figure out answers to logic questions is the more intelligent. Knowing facts does not make you smart.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:49 pm

in terms of front projection technology its still really hard to beat the CRT projectors in terms of video quality and contrast ratio, but they're getting closer. and standard def images on HDTVs almost always look like crap. i love using my old 21" CRT (composite converted to RF with a VCR) to watch anime over the video out on my gfx card. some things are just more pleasing to look at on a CRT display BECAUSE its lower res and not as sharp, even if its technically inferior

EDIT: just to clarify, when i talk about high end CRT projectors i'm talking stuff that supports resolutions anywhere up to 3200x2560 and 180mhz of video bandwidth. http://www.curtpalme.com/Projector_Rankings.shtm my PJ (sony VPH-1272q) maxes at 1600x1200 but looks best between 666p and 720p and 60-72hz

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Post by griehm » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:00 am

Triton wrote:EDIT: just to clarify, when i talk about high end CRT projectors i'm talking stuff that supports resolutions anywhere up to 3200x2560 and 180mhz of video bandwidth. http://www.curtpalme.com/Projector_Rankings.shtm my PJ (sony VPH-1272q) maxes at 1600x1200 but looks best between 666p and 720p and 60-72hz
3200x2560!!!!
Damn- CRT is the living dead, but better than the living... In some cases.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:44 pm

you can see the green text going into the black, that IS part of the projected area :mrgreen: and my PJ is only one of the better entry level machines :lol: top of the like (barco cine 9) runs up around 8-10 thousand dollars if you can find one, other brands of similar quality start at around 5 thousand unless you get lucky

EDIT: replaced with working image, damn imageshack losing my pics :wtf:

griehm

Post by griehm » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Which anime is this? I don't recognize it...

Triton

Post by Triton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

The first picture is artwork by Jacek Yerka. the second picture is a screengrab of Bleach, somewhere around episode 175ish. Here is a better example of how awesome the colors are, these pics were taken with a sony cybershot DCS-H7 camera. first pic was taken with me near the projector (about 12 foot from the screen) and the second pic was taken from right up next to the wall (autofocus was struggling lol)

griehm

Post by griehm » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Great image to display the colours- no bleeding; true, rich blues and reds...

I haven't been keeping up with bleach as much as I should be, although I don't normally watch/read the ones that are more mainstream (I am not a hipster)

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:50 am

I find that even the better (read: more expensive) LCD sets have terrible deinterlacing. I've seen a 55 inch Sony Bravia that makes it look like you're watching cable through a chain link fence.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:44 pm

The only thing your friend's TV has going for it is it's much cheaper to replace if it gets broken or stolen.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:24 pm

You're going to college. Bring the crt. If it gets busted, no problem, you can just find another on craigslist for $10 or even free.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:26 pm

themadhacker wrote:You're going to college. Bring the crt. If it gets busted, no problem, you can just find another on craigslist for $10 or even free.
This. Goodwill has tons of CRT TVs of that size for $5. Fancier CRTs might go for $10-20. Or super old ones for a buck. :lol:
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 pm

bicostp wrote:The only thing your friend's TV has going for it is it's much cheaper to replace if it gets broken or stolen.
It's probably going to be a lot harder (heavier) to steal, too! :lol:
Finally: the surface!

Sun-Wukong

Post by Sun-Wukong » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:29 pm

It really depends on what you're using them for. For one thing, are you sure your friend said "composite" and not "component"? Because component is great.

If you're using the TV for older video game systems or a VCR, an old CRT Tv that can do Composite, S-Video,and Component is king. A Wii or anything released before the PS3 will look better on it, with the exception of a handful of original Xbox games that could run in 720p.

If you're running an HD console, needless to say an HDTV would be the better bet.
Chapel wrote:Ah shucks, I was really hoping to make an SNES encased in a 19 pound glob of hotglue and duct tape. :lol: