Hmm. Howdy!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: Hmm. Howdy!

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:17 am

Holy burrito! Yeah, it's been quite a while! Too bad things are generally pretty quiet around here for some odd reason :(
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:26 am

It may have something to do with how long this board takes to update when you're posting or reading things. I tend to have to wait 5-10 minutes to read a PM, even if I'm on when it comes in.

Or it could be related to MR, SSF, and MBB

Or possibly some combination.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:06 pm

I would imagine it's all of the other sites on the web. This is still the first place I ever posted though, all of these new fancy portables are making me nostalgic though. I miss when this place was hip and happening.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:33 pm

It's pretty much because after ModRetro launched because of a lack of satisfaction with the way these forums were run, it and its spinoffs (Made By Bacteria, ShockSlayer Forums) became popular and the members stopped posting content here in favor of promoting their fresh new sites. Without the advertising of portables that everyone wanted, this site disappeared into the background while the other sites began to thrive.

I think.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:55 am

Pretty accurate account of what happened. I would like to add is that there was usually a lot of butthurt that caused or help fuel each new site, but that's in the past and specifics are better left undiscussed.

In my opinion, BH was already slowing down when MR started. Many of the original or very senior members had disappeared and there wasn't much innovation happening in the hobby. Ben has been branching off into other areas and doesn't seem to pay much attention to the forums any more (I don't blame him, AFAIK he still makes a living doing what is only a hobby to most people). More sites was just the final nail in the coffin. Portablizing has been and still is a niche of modding. Start splitting the community, there will be casualties.

You newer guys don't know what you missed.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:56 am

Activity seems to be a function of proximity to MGC.

I need to do a project.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 am

Everything is my fault. I made so many portables I needed to make two more websites to hold them all.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:03 pm

vskid wrote:You newer guys don't know what you missed.
Ha, you can say that again. So much hype for portables back in the day. I remember reading about one of Ben's snesp's in a magazine in junior high and getting super stoked to make one... Lol, I have made a total of one portable, and I don't think I even posted it. :roll:

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 pm

I don't think it has to be this way.
I mean, there is still hope. This site could use some revamping. Exactly half the moderators have been on in the last month, 3 admins aren't labeled as such, most of them have barely done much recently that I can see, and that awful delay glitch is making everything a huge pain.

Additionally, if you can get working members out of the woodwork, people will be more inclined to join and post. However, many guides are horribly out of date, and the layout changes have been getting... mixed feelings.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:07 am

This forum isn't dead, but it's sure not where it once was. I don't really know if it's needed though, even if the guides were updated and the forum brought back it would essentially be MR. Considering Ben made a lot of the publicity for this site back in the day, you would have to have some pretty incredible exclusive mods to get this place back up and running. But hey, here's hoping. I really do miss this site back when all the old peeps were on every day commenting on mods.