standerdized portable extention ports

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:47 am

I was going to add a 9 pin port on my n64 so that I could do a link. Here's what I'm thinking for the N64 port. We put a 9 pin connection it. We need to have a caertain video type for the systems. In case one has rgb and the other has a/v I don't think the will work right together. I guess we kind of need to pass around the info until it's finished for each system. I also think that we need to agree on what systems and the port type for it. What do you guys think?
You don't have to worry about the world ending tomorrow, it's already tomorrow in Australia

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:05 am

I think that composite video would be the easiest since it only takes up 1 data line compared to rgb using 4. It's also available on all systems, while rgb is not.

cennar

Post by cennar » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:36 pm

dont steal my thunder!

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:27 pm

I was thinking maybe it could vary for each system. Like for n64 I was thinking a/v. Yea rgb has a lot of wires. I vote for a/v for saturn and later. How are we going to set up the power issue on it though?
You don't have to worry about the world ending tomorrow, it's already tomorrow in Australia

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:33 pm

what power issue? Other than maybe needing an extra regulator for the internal controllers, I don't see a problem.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:47 pm

I mean setting it up so that the power only goes to the screen and controller. How are you going to set it up where you only need one game between the two, three, or four of you? If you figure out how to put a system link on the system's it would be greatly appreciated if you could post them on portables of doom. I think it's a lot harder to do then it sounds.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:55 pm

Link89 wrote:I mean setting it up so that the power only goes to the screen and controller.
Why send power to the other systems/screens these will have batteries to run them the only thing that needs to be done is have controller and A/V info sent to the subserviant ones around the system.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:02 pm

As I posted in the last system link thread, you will use the 5V line that's on almost every system, and use it to switch a relay in all the slave units. That would make them only power the screen and controller.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:19 pm

I meant that you only have power going to the screen and controller so that you only need one screen.

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:20 pm

now is this in reply to sparkfist's or my post? :?

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:02 pm

Sparkfist's. But if you unerstand how to make a working system link, could you please post how do it on portables of doom?

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:07 pm

I suppose, I'll make a diagram tomorrow night.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:34 pm

I was thinking this might be a cool way to tell who made there portables and in time who bought one. Or atleast we could e-mail out directions to evryone the furoms. You could have the 9 or 15 pin port on it, but then you have a little laser connection or some kind of wireless thing. The wireless would be neat because you could play like 30 feet away. I will probably be hard but would be way cool. Imgaine your on a car trip playing your favorite game then someone comes up and shots you in the back. It's all out war in your game suddenly blameo instant fun. Maybe we could set up some up some voice talking thing. It would be really hard but it would be sweet.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:48 pm

hmmm... another reason that we should do any kind of convention next year is that Ben will have released his book, more people will be interested in portablization, and more units will have been made.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:57 pm

I hate to be a pesimist but half the people wouldn't show up. I'd only have had my liscence for a month or too then. It's just a lot of work and not exactly cheap for someone to drive or fly for several hours to get to a convention for a hobby they have in their spare time.