XBox 360 Laser Burn Fix

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Monopoly
XBox 360 Laser Burn Fix

Post by Monopoly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:17 pm

A friend was stupid and had his xbox standing up, and he had dead island in it, knocked it over, and it got a laser burn around the edge. gamestop and blockbuster both couldnt help it. I have my copy, and he got a new one, so nothing is lost if it cant be fixed, but just wondering if i can get a free copy out of it to give to a friend or something. any ideas that def. work? i can upload a picture if that would help...

wallydawg

Re: XBox 360 Laser Burn Fix

Post by wallydawg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:20 pm

I had this happen with Guitar Hero 2 several times, It's like I was cursed with this game somehow. It does go pretty deep so I don't think you can totally fix it. You can keep buffing it until it starts up or plays certain parts but I don't think it'll ever work 100%. I tried everything on mine, professional buffering, home cleaners, toothpaste, peanut butter, whatever kind of crap the internet said would work (it was already broken, why the hell not try it right? lol). It's best just to get a new disc since it really sucks when you are right in the middle of a game and it craps out because of a bad sector.

weaponepsilon

Post by weaponepsilon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:50 pm

I still dont understand these "laser burns". Most of the time its the disc being smacked against something while it was in the drive and subsequently gets a nasty scratch. I doubt that modern consoles are powerful enough to burn a ring into a disc...
http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/weapon_epsilon
Trade thread!
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Currently owned: (In response to Tibia)

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 919 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

minnieman

Post by minnieman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:31 pm

its not a "Burn", its just the disc scraping against the disk tray i believe. as weapon said, these lasers arent capable of burning grooves into disks. as for the fix, there is no fix. try calling the company and asking for a replacement... thats the best you can try, sorry.
every one of my trade offers comes with respect. just take that into consideration with my most likely appealing offer. :D

one day... my xbox 360 portable WILL HAPPEN!!
(to bad imma broke teen)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Try using car polishing compound to get rid of the scratch. If you can't fix it with chemicals, the only other thing you can do is polish the disc down level with the deepest part of the scratch, like those hand-crank disc fixer tools do.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:10 pm

PlastX

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 am

The Xbox 360 Dual Layer drive is built to be cheap. After all, this is Micro$oft we are talking about.

When you bump a disc inside, it rubs against the laser housing (depending on the drive, it is usually made of metal).

The DL (Dual Layer DVD) disc, spins at 48x which is roughly 9,600 RPM. So fast, it makes a gyro effect if you rotate it.

When you bump it, all that speed is released onto that point where it hit, and basically 'eats' into the disc. Not fixable at all as all the little pits are basically gone. lol.

However, you can open your drive and place foam blocks to prevent the disc from hitting the laser if this happens again.

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

XBox 360 Laser Burn Fix

Post by brandonk318 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Actually this can be repaired. I worked for a Replays Gameware until it closed down in my area but in Alabama they are booming. Give them a shout at replaysonline.com When I worked for them they repaired very deep scratches. I used the machine myself and it worked great every time. Send them an email at there site and ask for the going price these days.

Edit: Sorry for the bump, I didn't notice how long ago since the last post.

ednielsen
PSN Username:ednielsen

Post by ednielsen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 am

just try to wash off the disc with water and keep it dry with cotton cloth, then you can see the disc would work well..
"You shower me with the words made of bear and son knives whenever you look at me I wish I was her."