*SOLVED* Hotpoint LCD TV Power Supply 'hisses'

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360
*SOLVED* Hotpoint LCD TV Power Supply 'hisses'

Post by Haunted360 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:29 am

Hi. I have this LCD TV, and the ceramic resonator on the PSU one day, went up in smoke.

I replaced it, and it worked like new.

The issue is, sometimes, the power supply hisses when I try to turn it on.
After turning it on and off many times, it finally kicks in and turns on (tube lights up, I get picture and audio etc).

Most of the time, it works when the room it is in is fairly warm. When it is freezing cold, it makes all the hisses and ignite sounds...

However, it has finally stopped working.

I dont know what it is. But when I try to turn it on, it just hisses, or sounds like a flickering trying to ignite sound.

Sometimes, it just makes a ticking sound... Again, like it is trying to ignite something on the PSU...

It has 2 transformers on the PSU and several mosfets / voltage regulators with heatsinks.

I tried to find where the hissing was coming from, but it is to hard to track down. I think it is the transformer... dunno...

I checked all the capacitors, and they are all fine...

I tried re-flowing the joints with flux and a soldering iron, but no go...

It is not a simple power supply though. It has a few IC's on it. I think for temperature control or voltage overload...

I will try to get some pictures up soon (I have the flu at the moment) so you can see the PSU.

Any ideas?

*EDIT*

I pushed down on some of the capacitors, wiggled them and then it worked. Perfectly.
So, I need to buy new capacitors and replace them (like a cap kit)...

It still hisses, so the new capacitors should clear that up...