black triangle on early model trinitron

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Reubensupernerd
black triangle on early model trinitron

Post by Reubensupernerd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:20 pm

When I play my older video games on my ~1987 sony trinitron (which works fine for N64 games and most TV channels) in the top right corner there is a sliver of screen space that doesn't display anything. Interestingly enough, this sliver seems to deform the picture in that area (its as if the picture is pushed in from the corner where the sliver is). I've not checked whether this happens on other TV's but I doubt my super nintendo or NES are flawed. Is this normal? Can it be fixed?
Thanks, Reuben

tom61

Re: black triangle on early model trinitron

Post by tom61 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:51 pm

It is fairly normal, most likely some caps have leaked or dried out and need replaced. Very common on arcade monitors, and they sell 'cap kits' for specific monitors to fix issues like these. Though probably not your consumer TV, but you might check repair parts vendors just in case.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:17 am

Thanks, I'll look into getting that fixed.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:23 am

yep both of our late-90s trinitrons did the same exact thing. upper left corner "sagging" a little.

also, youre better off hitting the local pawn or thrift shop for a new TV, dont bother fixing it. a newer trinitron can be had used for about $30.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:02 am

My Sony Trinitron (2003 I think) has a low pressure issue.

When cold (turning it on after 12 hours of being off), the brightness is way to low.
After 10 minutes, it 'heats up' and goes back to normal brightness.

Something inside the tube itself... I cant be bothered to attempt to fix it. And CRT's are a little to dangerous ;)

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:09 pm

mine has had its own fair share of issues lately. high static buildup. loud pops and clicks when you first turn it on, and the video image seems to shimmy a bit now, and i see moire lines.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:23 am

Sounds like a bad capacitor.

jaqiefox

Post by jaqiefox » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:17 am

actually, with a couple precautions CRTs are not that dangerous to work with / work on. just unplugging, and then shorting the metal clip behind the flyback "plunger" cover to the crt frame with a couple large screwdrivers (making great care not to touch any metal including on the screwdrivers when you do this!) and after that flash if there is one, youre prettymuch safe to work on it till the next time you plug it in.... microwaves aren't quite so safe to work on, mainly because the amount of power (not just higher voltage, higher amperage) stored in the caps is... enough to melt some smaller screwdrivers in some models...
Jaqie Fox, Genuine girl techie | http://foxtecha.com