PCB power supply Up in flames, anything I can do to fix?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

abysskeq
PCB power supply Up in flames, anything I can do to fix?

Post by abysskeq » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 pm

I was extending a PCB power supply board for a monitor, and the oddest copulate thing happened I swear to god, I don't know what the cause of it was.

I extended the board, checked all soldering points. Booted up the xbox 360 laptop, first thing that happened was the monitor would turn on with the xbox just fine, then 3 seconds later the monitor would shut off and the xbox would stay on. So I turned it off, rechecked everything, jiggled the wires to make sure everything was snug, and turned it on. The monitor booted up, however the screen was flickering, so I jiggled the wires, and it fixed it self. So now it works perfect. Left it on for a couple, then I turned it off. So me just being curious to see if it worked again. I turned it on, and the power board in the middle went up in flames. Immediately unplugged it, checked it all wires, solder points once again for the 3rd time. Turned it on again, and it worked just fine booted up nicely. Turned it off, and turned it back on, and it went in flames AGAIN. Now the monitor doesn't turn on anymore.

I don't understand it, the wires where soldered on tight. And the correct way. All I did was just extend the old wires, to make them longer.

Anybody know what the cause of it could be? The only thing I could think of is that I made the wires way to long? Could this be a problem? Here are some pictures of the damaged board.

Most importantly tho is there a way I can fix this board? Or am I screwed, and have to order another power supply board for the monitor?

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7051/dsc01594c.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5944/dsc01600uu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8886/dsc01601h.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I made the images pretty big, for you guys can see it pretty clearly.

Thanks for the suggesstions.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: PCB power supply Up in flames, anything I can do to fix?

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:16 pm

The length of the wires doesn't matter much on an analog line. (Logic traces, on the other hand, can get wonky if the line is off by enough of a margin to cause timing issues.) Either a connection somewhere shorted out or too much voltage made its way to that part of the board.

abysskeq

Post by abysskeq » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:00 am

Do you think the board is toast then?

Rohan The Wind Waker

Post by Rohan The Wind Waker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 am

Board is really toast
Rohan The \/\/ind \/\/aker
I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Not really the board, but more that logic chip is fried. Going to be hard to find a new one...

Sounds to me, like there was a short. Only a short would do this. Hence, voltage found its way to that particular IC.

Moving the wires, must have broken a trace and the trace would have landed on another contact. We do not know what your skill level is, so we can only assume this...