3DS Price Cut

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Spyder12587
3DS Price Cut

Post by Spyder12587 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet. 3DS is getting a price cut of $80 on August 12th, bringing the price of the system to $169.99 (same as the DSi XL and Nintendo said they're not lowering the prices of the other handhelds). If you already bought a 3DS and access the eShop before August 12th, you're entered into their Ambassador program. This means you get 10 free NES games and 10 free GBA games (Nintendo's chosen these already) before they're released on the eShop (GBA games are through the Ambassador program only). Nintendo is saying these are going to be updated versions, including multiplayer (where applicable).

What do you guys think? Good move? Bad move? Are the free games enough to make up for the extra $80 any early adopters may have spent?
There is no black or white but rather a million shades of gray...

Soulsaviger
360 GamerTag:robloxzack
Steam ID:robloxzack

Re: 3DS Price Cut

Post by Soulsaviger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Well If David Said It Is A Good Move So I Have TO Agree With Him.......................
I'd kill myself too if my last name was........ COMBS!

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Usually, a price cut this early means it is not selling well at all. True, because the 3DS sucks...

Bush

Post by Bush » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Haunted360 wrote:Usually, a price cut this early means it is not selling well at all. True, because the 3DS sucks...
You're opinion does not reign supreme over others; others and myself quite like the device. It isn't selling poorly, just not as well as they had hoped. That's to be expected when the DS is still kicking. The price cut is more or less a way to ensure they have a leg up over Sony and to make the device more accessible to people who don't always have money to drop on video games. A lot of people were on the fence about buying one, wanting the price to be lowered first. I bought my 3DS early this month and am going to return it and buy another when the price decreases. I don't care to spend $80 on 20 games I might already own, just my opinion. I do like getting my $80 back though.

Spyder12587

Post by Spyder12587 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:24 pm

I actually have enjoyed the time with my 3DS but like others, I'm waiting for the game lineup to improve (which this fall, it will). I think that Haunted is partially right, it's selling poorly NOW but it had pretty strong launch numbers though. I wish that rather than the 20 free games that I may or may not own/have played (as Bush said), that they would give "Ambassadors" a voucher for a free retail title that they could redeem by the end of the year. On the flip side of this though, Nintendo didn't HAVE to give early adopters anything but had the brains to put forward the show of good faith and give us something for supporting them out of the gate (which I do appreciate).
There is no black or white but rather a million shades of gray...

Nicholai

Post by Nicholai » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:14 pm

I started lurking this forum after years of inactivity to see if this would come up. I have mixed feelings, I think 20 free games is an interesting way to give back to the people who placed confidence in Nintendo, but I also think that the members of the younger generation that purchased the console might not even be interested in older games.

I definitely think that cutting the price to 2/3 the original cost of the console, especially 5 months after release, shows that the sales figures aren't looking good. But at the same time its now in the price range of a lot more people who would were considering a DSi XL. Now you can get your DS games along with your retina-frying 3D imagery (I joke. No health risks discovered..... yet. :) ).

Anyway, now on to the real question at hand.

so liek i wanted to liek, mod my ps3 and put it n a gamboy pocket case n i wuz just wonderin if i cud hax the 3ds scren so i cold liek, play sum san andreas in 3d. it sez playstation *3* n its called a *3* ds so dey should be compatible rite?

bentendo64

Post by bentendo64 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:38 am

I'd like some $80 in games. :D

But, I can see Nintendo lowering the quality of the plastic that they use when this price drop comes around. Just like the ds Lite. The older ones with the clear plastic over colored plastic don't break nearly as much as the newer ones that are completely made of the colored plastic. (Mostly its the hinges I'm talking about here).
http://bentendo64.co.cc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Mmm, extra performance for free. The essence of overclocking."

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 am

I don't think this has anything to do with bad sales, 3DS sales figures actually look pretty healthy. It is almost certainly in response to the PS Vita only being $250, and appearing to be much better hardware.

Excellent

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:29 pm

palmertech wrote:I don't think this has anything to do with bad sales, 3DS sales figures actually look pretty healthy. It is almost certainly in response to the PS Vita only being $250, and appearing to be much better hardware.
Thank you.

The 3DS is and will be fine. I knew it would be a slower seller primarily because you need to play around with the thing a bit to really "get it." So as more people pick them up and show friends, sales should increase exponentially.

The cause for concern should really be over Vita. They are obviously selling below cost, and the scenario is just as when the PSP was first released. I'm not saying the Vita is a bad machine - its a sweet piece of kit. The trouble is that generally speaking, people do not want console-type games on the go. They want quick games that are quirky and different; look at the most successful games on the App Store.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:49 pm

I agree with you, and in that sense, I think the Vita has a critical flaw in that they are basically marketing it as "Playstation 3 on the go". It perplexes me that they are not running some variant of Android on this thing, access to that marketplace would make it completely irresistible. Of course, when you are selling at a loss and making it up on games, I guess your options are limited.

Excellent